Equality Federation is the movement builder and strategic partner to state-based organizations advocating for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people.
In this role you will go deep on HIV policy, track and analyze all LGBTQ policy in the country, and help build the capacity of movement leaders to win equality in communities they call home. First, you will develop and support the execution of comprehensive advocacy plans for HIV policy change with three state coalitions. This will involve working closely with partners on the ground to analyze the current HIV policy landscape, creating a plan to win a policy change, and supporting the coalition in the execution of the plan. In this part of your job, we expect you to develop expertise on HIV policy and to build relationships with state and national partners. Your second major focus will be to enable Equality Federation to provide advance and rapid-response support to state advocates. During the legislative sessions you’ll use bill-tracking software to track all LGBTQ-related legislation in the states. Once you have this list, you’ll evaluate policy implications of proposed laws, analyze legislative trends, and work with state and national partners to take action. Finally, you will work to build the advocacy capacity of state leaders by train state leaders and key partners on policy issues and advocacy skills through Equality Federation’s national Leadership Conference, regional leadership summits, and webinars.
- Experience in state-level policy advocacy
- Knowledge of legislative process and procedures
- Policy analysis
- Advocacy planning
- Strong group trainer and facilitator
- Experience working with diverse communities
- Familiarity with HIV/health policy
- Ability to work well with a distributed team
- Fluent in Google Suite
- Ability and desire to travel up to 20%
- MPA, MPP, MSW, or similar or equivalent experience
- All applications are reviewed and acted upon as they are received. The position will be filled as soon as the appropriate candidate is found. It is therefore recommended that you submit your materials as promptly as possible.
- Apply by emailing an updated resume and cover letter as a PDF file to amanda [at] equalityfederation.org with “Policy and Advocacy Associate” as the subject of your message. Additionally, please provide three professional references related to work experience provided on your resume.