Our mission is to pass and utilize policies (e.g. public financing) that combat the influence of money at the federal, state, and local levels, to ensure that not only the voices of everyday Americans are heard, but that the people of our country have control over their democracy.
Every Voice is the leading national force for giving everyday people an equal voice in our democracy through building the power necessary to pass and enact small-donor public financing. Whether it’s holding the President and Congress accountable, or running innovative campaigns to pass effective small-donor policies at the state or local level, Every Voice is a recognized leader in driving strategy, shaping the narrative, and building the team or assembling the partners to get the job done. Every Voice values innovation, inclusivity, equity, collaboration, nimbleness, creativity, and internal transparency as the hallmarks of our work. Every Voice is adding a member to our leadership team whose responsibilities are to advance our state and local policy campaigns and our electoral accountability at both the state and federal levels. This position requires an experienced, talented, and creative individual who possesses both the know-how and the attitude to work with other senior staff in designing campaigns to overcome the status quo on money in politics. Reporting to the President & CEO, the Senior Campaigns Director will lead the organization’s efforts build power via partnerships and politics to advance reforms at the state and local level. Responsibilities
- Work with political staff to research, design, and build state and federal electoral plans in a way that boosts possibilities to win future policy changes and is coordinated with other organizations’ electoral activities;
- Explore and develop plans for ballot measure campaigns, if necessary, with local and state stakeholders;
- Work with State Legislative Director to implement our legislative campaigns strategy to advance wins on small donor public financing and other democracy reforms;
- Supervise, provide professional development and mentoring, and coach the three-member state campaigns team to implement ongoing policy campaigns, electoral planning, and work with elected champions;
- Help build, maintain, and support state and local coalitions, including building trust and credibility with a number of different types of organizational allies;
- Support the work of the development team and the President in funder relations and fundraising, including but not limited to the preparation of reports, joint site visits, and presentations to funders;
- In order to support legislative, ballot, and electoral campaigns, implement systems to utilize the expertise of the staff in the national office;
- Work with senior staff to organize national partners to participate and mobilize their members in support of state campaigns; and
- Oversee our work to build elected champions for our policies and campaigns.
- A minimum of five years experience in a leadership capacity in as many of the following areas as possible:
- moving legislation at the state or local level either from within an elected office or via an advocacy organization;
- utilizing ballot measures to drive wins;
- designing and implementing electoral programs;
- working directly with elected officials, candidates, and candidate pipeline or recruitment programs;
- coalition-building and supporting; and/or
- supervising staff.
- Proven capacity to think strategically and build plans to win that acknowledge the realities of the political landscape;
- Proven ability to build relationships with colleagues, organizational partners, and funders, and to bring people together around a common agenda/goal;
- Experience with successfully juggling multiple high priority projects at the same time, while continuing to manage staff and teams;
- Strong communication skills, particularly in writing plans and proposals, interpersonally with colleagues, and in presenting in front of audiences.
- Experience working in an organization or campaign focused on social, racial, and economic justice and equity;
- Interest in campaign finance and its impact on the democratic process; and
- Experience working within a national advocacy organization with a focus on state policy and politics.
Job Details Salary is commensurate with experience. A generous benefits package is offered. Position is full-time and based in the organization's Washington, D.C. office. Frequent travel is required. To Apply Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Please submit a resume, a cover letter including salary range, and writing samples to jobs [at] everyvoice.org. Please make sure to note where you saw this listing in your cover letter. Every Voice provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity or expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. Every Voice encourages applications from individuals of diverse backgrounds.