The Human Rights Campaign and the Human Rights Campaign Foundation together serve as America's largest civil rights organization working to achieve LGBTQ equality. By inspiring and engaging individuals and communities, HRC strives to end discrimination against LGBTQ people and realize a world that achieves fundamental fairness and equality for all.
Position Summary: The Staff Accountant performs various accounting functions for the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) and the Human Rights Campaign Foundation (HRCF). Specific duties of the position include: Revenue:
- Assist with revenue-related tasks:
- Record various revenue streams in the General Ledger (GL).
- Properly record restricted revenue.
- Record and reconcile all investment activity in the GL.
- Serve as backup to Revenue Specialist
- Assist with grant-related duties, such as:
- Review all expenditures to ensure proper use of grant and project codes.
- Record restricted income and releases, including grant revenue.
- Assist with reporting requirements for grant expenditures. Set up new grant/project codes, and communicate to users.
- Update grant tracking and reporting system; streamline processes where applicable.
- Maintain a grant reporting calendar
- Generate invoices and assist with collections
- Prepare monthly GL reconciliations and ensure that discrepancies are resolved in a timely manner.
- Adhere to monthly closing process, particularly meeting deadlines.
Accounting and Administrative Responsibilities:
- Participate in and assist with accounting projects, including implementation of accounting software upgrades, annual audits and management reporting.
- Prepare detailed schedules for annual audit and the IRS form 990 tax return.
- Maintain and monitor department calendars for deliverables and deadlines.
- Maintain and/or manage the Finance Department’s permanent files including current state registrations, bank account information, journal entries, reconciliations, audited financial statements, tax returns and all regulatory filings.
- Coordinate the ongoing maintenance of the Finance Department Accounting Policies and Procedures manual.
- Coordinate and schedule trainings for new and current HRC employees regarding financial processes and procedures, update training materials, prepare presentations, etc.
- Provide assistance to supervisor, Controller and Finance Director, as needed, and assist with general workload.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Business or related field and working knowledge of GAAP are strongly preferred. Two to four years of relevant work experience in a nonprofit is preferred.
- Customer service skills to manage difficult client/customer situations, respond promptly to customer needs, solicit customer feedback to improve service, respond to requests for service and assistance, meet commitments and follow up on obtaining reports and documentation from staff.
- Communicates effectively and professionally with vendors and everyone within the organization.
- Confidentiality—discretion and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Flexibility with work schedule--this position requires evening and weekend work during peak periods.
- Personal interest in and commitment to LGBTQ rights.
- Detail oriented with excellent analytical and problem solving skills. Solid writing skills.
- Excellent time and self-management skills, ability to prioritize and multitask to meet deadlines, often under pressure.
- Must be able to work independently, assist other members of the finance department and demonstrate an ability to collaborate cross-departmentally.
- Knowledge and strong understanding of proper accounting controls.
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office applications (Word and demonstrated intermediate to advanced expertise with Microsoft Excel), Google Apps (Gmail, Google Docs and Drive).
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
Please apply online at www.hrc.org/careers