CenterLink strengthens, supports, and connects LGBTQ community centers.
THE CLIENT LGBTQ community centers serve over 2 million people annually and are the heart and soul of the LGBTQ movement. Whether they provide direct services, educate the public or organize for social change, they are the primary change agents in the national movement working toward the liberation and empowerment of LGBTQ people. Founded in 1994 as a member-based coalition to support the development of strong, sustainable LGBTQ community centers, CenterLink provides capacity building services to member centers across the country. Serving over 250 centers in 45 states, Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia, as well as centers in Canada, China, and Australia, CenterLink assists newly forming centers and strengthens existing centers by helping them to improve governance, organizational and service delivery capacity, and increase access to public resources. Additionally, CenterLink acts as a voice for LGBTQ community centers in national grassroots organizing, coalition building, and social activism. In partnership with other national organizations, CenterLink works to advance the rights of LGBTQ individuals and to provide LGBTQ community centers with information and analysis of key issues. CenterLink’s leadership development initiatives include an annual summit for executive directors and board members, and a boot camp for new executive directors. Members also have access to a broad spectrum of consulting and technical assistance services including strategic planning, fundraising and board governance training, and needs assessments. Core CenterLink programs include:
- ActionLink: Resources and tools for members to shape the public debate on critical issues and policies.
- HealthLink: A network of experts and professionals in community-based organizations and public health systems collaborating to reduce health disparities within LGBTQ communities.
- Q Chat Space: An online space providing real-time, chat based, facilitated support groups for LGBTQ+ teens.
Organizational priorities outlined in CenterLink’s 2020–2022 Strategic Plan include achieving greater diversity, equity, and inclusion, and expanding leadership development opportunities. Headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, FL, and operating with a $2.5 million annual budget and eight staff, CenterLink is governed by a 17-person Board of Directors. To learn more about CenterLink, please visit https://www.lgbtcenters.org/ THE OPPORTUNITY In our country, now more than ever, there is much at stake for LGBTQ people. Not only are the 2020 elections critical, the decisions to be made at the U.S. Supreme Court hold vital consequences for our future. Our trans communities – particularly trans women of color – are experiencing record levels of violence. LGBTQ community centers play a critical part in influencing our movement and supporting our communities who live with ramifications of laws, policies and stigma that have tremendous negative impact on their day-to-day lives. This is an exceptional opportunity for a strategic, creative, and transformative leader to inspire LGBTQ community centers to engage actively in advocacy and policy and to make their mark on the LGBTQ movement for years to come. THE POSITION Reporting to the board, CenterLink’s Chief Executive Officer will be responsible for realizing the organization’s mission to strengthen, support, and connect LGBTQ community centers. Serving as the voice for and representing the needs of community centers nationally and within the LGBTQ movement, the CEO will ensure the unique contributions and collective power of community centers are valued and leveraged to achieve full lived equality for LGBTQ people. Essential responsibilities of the position include: Leadership
- Inspire, motivate, and lead a team of committed and engaged staff to realize the organization’s mission, vision, and strategic goals;
- Direct a nationally distributed team of staff and consultants to execute programs and deliver services;
- Lead by example to enhance a culture of transparency and accountability and ensure organizational cohesion;
- Champion a culture of inclusion throughout the organization by fostering diversity and implementing robust equity policies;
- Develop best-practice systems and structures for managing remote teams.
Fundraising and Fiscal Stewardship
- Lead the development of budgets and related program and staffing plans that advance the organization’s mission and strategic goals;
- Manage the organization’s financial resources, building on its foundation of fiscal stability and ensuring its long-term viability;
- Develop the overall fundraising strategy and maintain relationships with key stakeholders including individual, foundation and corporate funders;
- Partner with the board to identify, solicit, and acquire new sources of funding, to encourage board giving, and to build sustainable sources of income for the organization.
- Serve as the organization’s primary spokesperson representing CenterLink and its members in public, in the media, and at events;
- Foster strong relationships with other leaders in the LGBTQ and allied movements;
Build and strengthen networks and coalitions with community-based and national social service and social justice organizations.
PROFESSIONAL REQUIREMENTS CenterLink is seeking an entrepreneurial executive with organizational and leadership development expertise. The successful candidate will have a deep understanding of community centers and the myriad ways in which they meet the needs of the communities they serve. The new CEO will be an accomplished public speaker who can effectively engage a variety of audiences and represent the organization across all media. The successful candidate should have the following:
- Executive leadership experience, preferably with an LGBTQ community center, advocacy, or social justice organization;
- Demonstrated success leading organizational, regional or national diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives;
- Experience engaging in policy and advocacy efforts impacting the LGBTQ community;
- Effective team-building skills, including prior experience managing remote staff;
- Experience working with a nonprofit board and a demonstrable understanding of board development and nonprofit governance;
- A fiscally prudent approach to and successful track-record of managing comparable budgets combined with an understanding of proper accounting and controls;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills enhanced by knowledge of marketing, branding, and communications strategies;
- A track record of success cultivating, stewarding, and soliciting corporate, foundation, and individual gifts including, ideally, an understanding of government grants and contracts;
- An understanding of organizational capacity-building techniques including, ideally, prior experience developing and implementing training and technical assistance programs.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS We are seeking a visionary leader who passionately believes LGBTQ centers are the hearts of our communities and power of the LGBTQ movement. They will have exceptional interpersonal skills and will enjoy increasing individual and organizational capacity to realize CenterLink’s vision of flourishing LGBTQ centers that nurture thriving, healthy, safe communities. The ideal candidate will have:
- Knowledge of the history and issues affecting LGBTQ and gender non-conforming/non-binary (GNCNB) and HIV-affected individuals;
- An understanding of the intersectionality of racial equity, gender equity, and economic justice issues and their impact on LGBTQ, GNCNB, and HIV-affected communities;
- Strong relationship-building skills including a track record of success in fostering collaboration and strengthening networks;
- An approachable, collaborative, and transparent leadership style;
- A strong commitment to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and a commitment to advancing social justice;
- Willingness to travel frequently (1-2 times per month).
To apply, please send a thoughtful cover letter and résumé to: Michelle Kristel, Managing PartnerMcCormack+Kristel1740 Broadway, 15th FloorNew York, NY 10019Tel 212.531.5003Email search [at] mccormackkristel.com () All inquiries will be held in strict confidence. Please note that your education, dates of employment, compensation and other information provided will be verified prior to employment. CenterLink follows an equal opportunity employment policy and employs and contracts with people without regard to: age, marital status, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, race, color, ethnic or religious background, descent or nationality, disability, HIV/AIDS status, military status, or height and weight.