Corazón Healdsburg (Corazón) is committed to strengthening communities by bridging the racial, cultural, and economic divides that exist today. The organization supports thousands of low-income clients through carefully targeted programs, direct support services, community engagement, and disaster relief. Corazón envisions a community where residents of all backgrounds and identities enjoy equal participation and quality of life. It has been working to remove the obstacles that stand in the way of this vision since 2011.
The Chief Executive Officer will assume day-to-day operating and oversight responsibility for Corazón Healdsburg, including Organizational Development, Fundraising, Financial Management, Community Engagement/Outreach, Staff Supervision, Operations/Administration, and Board Relations. In partnership with the Board of Directors, the CEO will be responsible for setting vision and direction for the organization to fully accomplish its mission of bridging the racial and economic divides in Northern Sonoma County. A primary responsibility of the new CEO will be to partner with Board and Staff in stewarding Corazón through its next phase of growth; from a successful, young startup to a more mature and resourced nonprofit organization. Of primary importance will be developing infrastructure to support current and future growth while retaining the grounding, heart, and nimble responsiveness to community needs that are core to the organization’s identity and success. The CEO will lead the organization with particular focus on the following priorities:
- Growing, improving, and aligning programs to meet evolving community needs
- Ensuring financial sustainability through increased revenue and sound financial stewardship
- Developing and expanding systems and infrastructure, including data-driven measurement and assessment of organizational effectiveness
- Amplifying the voice and influence of the Latinx community in decision and policy making
- Enhancing the trust, credibility, and authenticity of Corazon’s engagement across all demographics in Northern Sonoma CountyThe CEO will also function as a primary public representative of Corazón Healdsburg and will work to expand relationships with constituents, volunteers, programmatic partners, policy makers, and other allied nonprofit organizations to advance the organization’s mission.
RESPONSIBILITIES:Organizational Growth & Leadership
- With the Board of Directors, create short and long-term strategic plans in support of Corazón Healdsburg’s work and mission. Lead Board and Staff in implementing and operationalizing these plans;
- Develop and improve organizational infrastructure – including business processes, systems, policies, and tools – to maximize efficiency and support future growth;
- Provide vision and oversight to program growth and expansion, including conducting external needs assessments and internal reviews of program effectiveness.
- In collaboration with the Board of Directors and Development Consultant (part-time), create and implement fundraising plans to ensure immediate and long-term financial health of the organization;
- Work closely with the Director of Development to accomplish revenue goals comprised of major gifts, annual campaigns, corporate support, special events, and government grants/contracts;
- Personally manage and steward relationships with individual and institutional donors to ensure all fundraising goals are met or exceeded.
- Provide transparent fiscal stewardship of Corazón Healdsburg, ensuring appropriate resource utilization and operation of the organization in a positive financial position;
- Work with the Board’s Finance Chair to develop and approve annual revenue and expense budgets;
- Ensure that the organization has adequate insurance coverage and manage any claims processes, including liability, property, D&O, and workers’ compensation.
- Nurture and develop relationships with community leaders, government agencies, partner organizations, local businesses, and elected officials;
- Attend relevant community events and cultivate speaking opportunities in order to deepen local networks, engage new donors, and expand community presence;
- Plan and execute community events in partnership with the Events Committee.
- Manage all personnel activities, including hiring, training, disciplining, and/or terminating staff (and volunteers), and evaluation of job performance;
- Provide professional development opportunities for staff to learn new skills and enhance performance;
- Revise organization structure and job descriptions as necessary (and within budget parameters) to maximize capacity and impact;
- Advance an inclusive, performance-based culture that is collaborative, transparent, and respectful of all backgrounds and identities.
- Manage all rented facilities including addressing maintenance, repair, workplace, and safety issues;
- Ensure the organization as a whole has the technology infrastructure needed to be effective and efficient and provide training and support as needed;
- Lead People Operations including HR administration, risk management, compliance, performance accountability, and training and leadership development.
*Corazon has budget reserved to add an operations manager to the team after the new CEO is on board. Board Relations
- Assist Board Chair with member recruitment and retention to ensure Board make-up is diverse in skill, geography, race/ethnicity, and gender identity, and passionate about supporting the mission;
- Attend all Board meetings as well as Committee meetings, as appropriate;
- Assist Board Chair with Board meeting preparation and planning.
[NOTE: While no single candidate is likely to have equal expertise in all areas listed above, successful candidates will possess a compelling combination of strengths in many of them and the self-awareness and wisdom to hire or leverage existing resources in the area(s) where they lack personal mastery.] CANDIDATE PROFILEThe new CEO will be an experienced, dynamic, bilingual and bicultural leader with exceptional interpersonal skills. She/He/They will have expertise in organizational development, fundraising, and program amangement, as well as community engagement and team building. They will brin ga collaborative and transparent management style and will demonstrate a commitment to mentor, support, and partner with staff and volunteers of varying backgrounds and professional experience. Successful candidates will have a deep connection to Corazón’s work and mission, and an appreciation of the unique needs and contributions of the Latinx community. Regardless of professional background, candidates should have a track record of setting strategic vision and motivating staff, Board, volunteers, and external constituents of diverse identities to work collaboratively toward shared goals.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish. Exceptional written and verbal communications skills in both languages
- Cultural Fluency. Deep understanding of, connection to, and passion for Latinx culture and experience
- Previous Executive Leadership Experience. Ideally in a similar, mission-driven nonprofit environment
- Fundraising Experience. Successful track record of revenue generation including individual giving, corporate and foundation support, government grants and contracts, and special events
- Community Building & Advocacy. History of engaging, strengthening, and leveraging resources in support of a community
Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of five years of successful senior-level management experience with responsibility for cross-functional teams;
- History of having led organizational growth and development while reaching greater mission achievement;
- Proven people and team management skills with the ability to coach and mentor staff while also ensuring accountability for outcomes and results;
- Financial oversight and budget management experience in an organization with similar funding sources;
- Experience building and managing budgets while driving sound financial and policy decision making;
- Ability to lead multiple long- and short-term projects simultaneously, meeting all related deadlines by planning, delegating, and managing work;
- Ability to lead effectively across differences in language, culture, racial and ethnic background, socioeconomic status, and identity.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience working collaboratively and transparently with a Board of Directors or similar volunteer leadership group;
- Previous experience in a start-up or Founder-led organization;
- Large-scale special event production and management;
- Marketing and public relations training;
- Experience working on Salesforce platform.
- Passionate, outgoing, and energetic presence;
- Ability to motivate and inspire others to engage and participate in advancing a mission;
- Deep cultural competency and proven ability to interact authentically and effectively with widely diverse audiences and constituencies;
- Empathetic and people-centered, but can act decisively and create systems of accountability and performance management;
- Action oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative in approach;
- Transparency, integrity, sense of humor;
- Mission driven, self-directed, and possessing of deep process knowledge.
Inquiries, nominations, or applications (including a cover letter and resume) should be directed electronically and in confidence, to search [at] kevinchasesearch.com. We are pleased to answer any questions or supply further information.