Basic Rights Oregon will ensure that all lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Oregonians experience equality by building a broad and inclusive politically powerful movement, shifting public opinion, and achieving policy victories.
Basic Rights Oregon seeks an energetic candidate to serve as Communications Fellow as part of our Communications team beginning in January 2015 through June 2015. This fellowship is an entry-level internship, which will be supported by the Communications Staff.The Communications Fellow will help produce social media content, organize content (written and video), copy edit blog posts, newsletter articles and other duties as assigned. Basic Rights Oregon is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, multicultural work environment. People of color, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities are encouraged to apply.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (in English and Spanish)
- Experience with video production and editing
- Self-motivated, good organizational skills, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines
- Computer literacy, especially with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience working within transgender communities, queer and trans people of color, and people with multiple marginalized identities
- Experience using social media (including Facebook, Twitter and other outlets)
- Experience using Salsa and WordPress, and/or the ability to learn these systems on the job
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-racism and social justice issues
- Demonstrated commitment to ending homophobia and transphobia and to working across lines of identity
- Strong understanding of how racism, homophobia, and transphobia operate
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Write and edit social media posts, news releases, organizational emails and e-newsletters, and blog posts (English and Spanish)
- Storyboard, film, edit and render video stories for social media
- Volunteer outreach for communications and media projects
- Perform other duties as assigned
Please submit your resume, cover letter, writing samples in English and Spanish, and names of three references to Cameron Mathews, cameron [at] basicrights.org as soon as possible with the subject heading Communications Fellow. Priority will be given to applicants that submit their materials by Monday, January 5.