Full Time PositionReports to: Organizing DirectorBased in the Atlanta Metro Area, the Racial Justice Action Center (RJAC) is a vibrant, multiracial organizing and training center building the grassroots leadership and power of communities of marginalized communities to fight for – and win – political and social transformation. RJAC engages in holistic leadership development, savvy campaign-based organizing, and strategic policy advocacy rooted in a deep political and historical analysis in order to advance our vision of a transformed society. We are an Anchor Organization and fiscal agent of the Solutions Not Punishment Collaborative (SNaP Co).SNaP Co is a Black trans and queer led collaborative that build the power of impacted people to wage campaigns to divest from the prison industrial complex (PIC) and invest in our communities. SNaPCo envisions a vibrant, radically inclusive Metro Atlanta where all our people live safe and free, and have the opportunity to thrive and live as their authentic whole selves. We believe in a greater South that rejects punitive responses to poverty and harm, and instead believes in restorative and transformative justice.
SNaPCo is seeking a Communications Manager to manage and lead the communications strategy of the organization and its campaigns and projects. This includes working with the Organizing Director to lead framing and messaging strategy, managing materials and website design and maintenance, and overseeing traditional media (including press releases and spokesperson prep) and social media strategies. Salary Range and BenefitsRJAC offers a competitive market salary and benefits package commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits include health care coverage, vacation, and sick days. We also offer leadership development and personal transformation opportunities and the opportunity to work inside an awesome, dynamic team making big change.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:We seek an organized, hard-working, creative person with:
- 3-4 years experience in campaign-based communications and PR
- Ability to create and implement a 6-12 month communications plan that includes room for rapid response
- Experience in messaging and framing for social justice – especially around the criminal justice system
- Experience in social media content creation and community management of social media channels for social justice efforts
- Knowledge of Website development and graphic design
- Ability to supervise volunteers and contractors
- Ability to work with organizers and collaborate well inside a team
- Highly motivated to end mass incarceration and criminalization in Georgia
- A well-developed personal framework to social justice and a strong commitment to racial and economic justice and RJAC and SNaPCo’s mission and vision.
Application ProcedureInterested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to info [at] rjactioncenter.org. The writing sample should be no more than 2 pages and can take the form of: flier, blog post, letter to the editor, brochure, and article or report on trans justice, criminal justice, LGBT rights, racial justice and/or underground economies. Please put “Comms Manager + Your Name” in the subject line of your email.RJAC and SNaP Co encourage trans folks of color, queer folks of color, formerly incarcerated people, gender-oppressed people, and our allies to apply!