In 75 countries around the world it’s a crime to be gay. At All Out, we’re mobilizing millions of people and their social networks to build a powerful movement for love and equality. Our mission is to build a world where no person will have to sacrifice family or freedom, safety or dignity, because of who they are or who they love. The New York office team is seeking an intern to talk to 2 million All Out members worldwide, supporting with community management and finding amazing content to share with our membership via email, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and beyond. Passionate about the rights of lesbian, gay, bi, and trans people everywhere? Internet addict? Enthusiastic people person? You might be the perfect fit to help manage our truly global community.
Activities will include:
- Responding and engaging directly with All Out members, adding a personal touch through community management platform ZenDesk
- Researching breaking news on LGBT issues around the world for potential campaigns and shareable content
- Harnessing member energy to collect skillshares and reportbacks for the full team
- Contributing to strategy discussions on new and existing campaigns, and collaborating with the team to launch and manage offline strands of campaigns when appropriate
Educational opportunities: This is an amazing opportunity to learn first-hand how a nimble campaigning organization communicates and engages a wide membership through online platforms. The intern will learn:
- How to engage a large membership and keep it active through a commitment curve
- Customer service skills through community management, including quick problem solving and brand ambassadorship
- How to tell a compelling story to a broad audience
- How to work with world-class campaigners in a global, fast-paced, tech-focused environment
- Team-working skills
- How to run online campaigns, including social media advocacy, mass email writing, and other transferable marketing skills
- Analytics of platforms such as Sprout Social, ZenDesk, Facebook, and more
- The internal workings of a fast-paced campaigning organization
The ideal candidate:
- Has a demonstrated commitment to and understanding of LGBT rights, international human rights, or similar social justice movements
- Can think creatively about our work
- Has the ability to initiate and follow through on projects
- Is fluent in written and spoken English – bonus points for French, Spanish, or Portuguese fluency
- Has a keen interest in all things online
Interns are eligible for academic credit. The position will ideally be based in the heart of New York City with the possibility to be based in another All Out office around the world, surrounded by other brilliant, fun-loving colleagues. We are looking for someone who can start on February 1st and commit at least 15-20 hours a week. This position will run for the duration of 2-4 months.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, specifically women, people of color, LGBT people and international applicants. To apply, please submit an application, cover letter, and resume at the following link: https://allout.org/en/jobs/#op-53794-community--social-media-intern-febm...