The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity. The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups around the world - particularly those led by lesbian and queer women, trans and gender nonconforming folks, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to build powerful movements for justice. A proud public foundation and one of the first women’s funds in the world, in our 41-year history we have granted over $40 million to LGBTQI activists and artists.
This is an outstanding opportunity for an experienced leader with a solid financial background and a proven track record of creative problem-solving and change management to join in a high-growth, high-impact, well-respected, mission-driven organization. Reporting to the Executive Director (ED) and directly supervising a 4 person Fiscal and Administrative team the Deputy Director (DD) serves as an integral member of the senior management team. The DD will work closely with the ED to create an environment for success that inspires staff and provides holistic, adaptive systems to support the organization’s mission and values.The Deputy Director responsibilities include:Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Serve as the internal leader of an $11.5M organization, providing all staff, local and remote, a strong day-to-day leadership presence that promotes cross-team collaboration, communication and a commitment to success.
- Serve as the ED’s primary advisor regarding organizational strategy and goals, team management and organizational practices.
- Serve as a key player in the development and implementation of a strategic planning process to achieve Astraea’s long-term strategic goals and objectives
- Lead staff mentoring and development using a supportive and collaborative approach.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the ED informed of all critical issues.
- Serve as the management liaison to the board of directors, including finance and audit committees; effectively communicate and present financial matters at board and committee meetings.
- Oversee human resources functions with a social justice lens insuring Astraea’s values are reflected in HR and Management practices.
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement that values learning, diversity, equity, inclusion and a commitment to quality through workshops, retreats and other initiatives.
- Further develop Astraea’s human resources initiatives, enhancing professional and leadership development, by implementing best practices regarding compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training and recruiting.
Finance and Administration
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the ED and the Controller
- Review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership team and board abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Oversee and manage administrative functions to ensure the infrastructure is in place to support a growing, complex organization,
- Ensure compliance with internal and external requirements through an appropriate system of internal policies and control procedures.
- Oversee and manage information technology operations
- Minimum 10 years experience in a senior management role
- Based in New York City or willing to relocate
- Strong facilitation and conflict resolution skills and experience working with diverse racial, class, and gender power dynamics.
- Proven track record of transformational leadership facilitating progressive organizational change and development within a growing organization
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience for a culturally diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with -- programmatic and fundraising staff
- Broad experience with the full range of non-profit functions, including strategic development and planning, information technology, and human resources
- Technology savvy with knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- Keen analytical, organizational, problem solving, and decision-making skills
- Entrepreneurial, flexible, collaborative leader with ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Passion for Astraea’s mission and commitment to social justice
- Great sense of humor
Salary: Competitive and Commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package.How to apply: Please send résumé, cover letter, and salary requirements to jobs [at] astraeafoundation.org or apply on-line at www.astraeafoundation.org. No phone calls, please – only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, multicultural work environment. People of color, people with disabilities and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities are encouraged to apply. For more information visit www.astraeafoundation.org