The National Center for Transgender Equality advocates to change policies and society to increase understanding and acceptance of transgender people. In the nation’s capital and throughout the country, NCTE works to replace disrespect, discrimination, and violence with empathy, opportunity, and justice.
The National Center for Transgender Equality seek a Deputy Executive Director for Policy and Action. The Deputy Executive Director for Policy and Action is a member of the Executive team responsible for ensuring the smooth operation NCTE and NCTE Action Fund’s political, policy advocacy, and program activities. They oversee NCTE’s programmatic departments, each of which have their own Directors (Policy Department, Outreach and Education Department, and Communications Department). In addition, the person will lead and coordinate NCTE Action Fund’s political work, which will intensify through the 2020 elections. The ideal candidate will bring significant political/campaign experience as well as management experience, though candidates with significant experience in one of those areas should still apply. The exact job responsibilities can be altered to fit with the candidate’s areas of expertise and experience. This position reports to the Deputy Executive Director.Located in Washington, DC, this is an incredible opportunity to significantly contribute to the knowledge base about transgender people, including those who identify as non-binary. The survey research team has already begun working and has already planned improvements over the last iteration. The survey is online and will be again offered in English and Spanish. About the National Center for Transgender Equality and Action FundThe National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE) advocates to change policies and society to increase understanding and acceptance of transgender people. In the nation’s capital and throughout the country, NCTE works to replace disrespect, discrimination, and violence with empathy, opportunity, and justice. Launched in 2017, the National Center for Transgender Equality Action Fund (NCTE Action Fund) is a 501(c)(4) non-profit advocacy organization fighting for transgender equality at the local, state, and federal levels, affiliated with NCTE. The two organizations share office space and staff, including this position. Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as a thought leader and strategist for NCTE as a whole, helping to determine the direction of NCTE and NCTE Action Fund’s work, in conjunction with the Deputy Executive Director and Executive Director, including appropriate staffing levels and structures, budgeting, and adjusting strategies and priorities
- Supervise and coach several department directors (Policy, Outreach & Education, and Communications) to ensure cross-organizational coordination and prioritization
- Create and implement a robust, strategic 2020 election plan for the Action Fund, gathering input from a variety of internal and external resources, leading a cross organizational team to execute the plan
- Ensure that departments and staff they supervise have reasonable work plans and goals that reflect NCTE’s strategic plan and values, including values of racial and economic justice, and nurture our organizational culture of sustainable excellence and collaboration
- Work with the Finance/Operations and Development teams to ensure the programmatic work this position supervises is within budget, complies with applicable laws, and complies with human resource best practices
- Coordinate with the Development team to report policy and programmatic work to funders
- Respond to constantly shifting priorities and pressures with humor and enthusiasm
- Manage special projects or take on other duties as needed
- Experience: Preferably at least 3-5 years of experience in management roles with a non-profit of similar or larger size than NCTE (20-25 staff members)
- Experience: Direct experience in elections and/or campaigns, preferably at least some work on the national level
- Collaborative Spirit: Ability to work as integral part of a team of hard-working, energetic professionals, taking input from a variety of assertive colleagues
- Commitment to Social Justice: An understanding of issues affecting transgender people as well as an understanding of racism, classism and other systems of inter-connected oppressions is critical to guiding NCTE and the Action Fund’s work
- Understanding Racial and Economic Justice: A deep and nuanced understanding of racial and economic justice and systems of inter-connected oppressions is critical, including how these issues arise in social justice non-profit environments
- Prioritization and Detail Orientation: Ability to set and meet goals, prioritize, plan, manage, and complete work on time while maintaining optimum quality
- Self-direction: Takes initiative and is ambitious to ensure that all projects are moving forward
- Optimism: An optimism that is unwavering, with a can-do attitude and a problem-solving orientation, and the assumption that most people are also trying to improve the world
- Strength and persistence: The ability to be exposed to transphobia and other kinds of discrimination or stress on a daily basis and keep fighting hard for transgender equality
- Flexibility: Ability to shift one’s one work and expectations and generally be willing to fill any role needed for success of the organization or project
- Language: Spanish ability is a plus
Salary and BenefitsSalary is consistent with experience. NCTE offers a strong, generous benefits package that includes dental, vision and health insurance, employer contributions to retirement, pre-tax Metro benefits, paid holidays, vacation, sick and volunteer time off.
Application and TimelineEmail a resume and cover letter to apply [at] transequality.org with “Deputy Executive Director for Policy and Action” in the subject line. Inquire over email if an acknowledgement of your application is not received after one week. Please no calls. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.The National Center for Transgender Equality is an equal opportunity employer. NCTE is committed to creating a diverse staff made of people who are kind, optimistic, hard-working and committed to social justice, from all segments of transgender and allied communities. If you have disability-related accommodations needs during the application process, please contact Patrick Paschall, NCTE’s Director of Finance and Operations, at ppaschall [at] transequality.org.