Fairness West Virginia (Fairness) is the statewide civil rights advocacy organization dedicated to fair treatment and civil rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender West Virginians. Our mission is to ensure LGBT people can be open, honest and safe at home, at work, and in the community. We represent the diversity of Appalachia and our membership is open to everyone who believes in fundamental fairness.
Position OverviewFairness West Virginia seeks a Development Associate to support our growing Development program. Reporting to the Executive Director, this team member builds and maintains the organization’s major donor portfolio, cultivates donor relationships, coordinates special events and manages foundation grants. Responsibilities Major Gifts
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, monitor and maintain a portfolio of 100 major donors capable of giving at a $1000 - $10,000 level gift.
- Manage a portfolio of donors capable of giving at a $500 - $999 level gift.
- Engage in face-to-face solicitations and other direct engagement with donors and prospects for major and planned gifts.
- Arrange and support engagement for the Executive Director to meet and surpass all development goals.
- Identify and qualify new prospects for assignment to the major gifts portfolio by conducting and analyzing publicly available research.
- Input all donor/prospect information, contacts, and activity into an existing database.
- Serve as a contact for donors and build relationships with donors in the portfolio. This includes requesting one-on-one meetings, having meaningful interactions at events and other measurable interactions with donors via phone, mail, and email.
- Maintain working knowledge of organizational programmatic priorities and national and state breaking news stories on LGBTQ issues that are of interest to our donors
- Organize occasional special briefing events via zoom for top donors to hear from the Executive Director or a guest speaker.
- Coordinate revenue-generating events (including a legislative reception and an annual gala) including calendaring of deadlines for sponsorship solicitations and e-blast invitations; securing vendors; organizing a silent auction; selling ads for the program book; arranging volunteers; and executing an event that meets revenue goals.
- Identify and conduct prospect research of new foundations that will support the organization’s operations and programs.
- Draft grant applications/reports.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience, and at least 2 years of professional or internship experience.
- Team player who thrives in a small-office environment.
- Proven excellent written and oral communications skills and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, and experience with a development database preferred.
- Prior experience working in fundraising/development preferred
- Willingness to travel (must have a car) and work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Commitment to LGBTQ civil rights, diversity, and equity.
Submit your application to Andrew [at] fairnesswv.org. Be sure to tell us specifically how you would excel as a fundraiser for our organization.