Formerly Brothers United, Inc., BU has a 20-year history of dedicated service, advocacy, and activism to the city of Indianapolis and the State of Indiana. The mission of BU is to enhance the health and wellness of the community which includes sexual, gender, and racial minorities and the people who live and work in its neighborhoods. BU’s aim is to be the leader in public and sexual health programs and initiatives for multicultural communities in the Midwest. BU’s activities are designed to increase knowledge of HIV status, encourage risk reduction, and secure needed referrals for appropriate medical, prevention and partner notification counseling and referral services.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Manager will play a key role in identifying, cultivating, and renewing financial resource commitments in order to grow its organizational budget over the next three years through the solicitation of state, corporate, foundation and individual gifts. Key ResponsibilitiesThe essential duties and responsibilities of the Development Manager include, but are not limited to:
- Designing, implementing, and updating a comprehensive fundraising strategy in accordance with defined BU goals and objectives.
- Actively advancing the organizational giving strategy and activity plan for individual giving by finding and engaging with new donors who are passionate about HIV care.
- Developing and managing an active donor stewardship plan, conceived as a living document, designed to manage relationships with prospective, current, and past donors; working to ensure renewals and potential increases to annual gifts.
- Developing a portfolio of mid- and low-level donors by working collaboratively with staff and volunteers to regularly identify new donor prospects. Facilitate meetings between potential donors and BU’s Executive Director and board members, allowing them to engage donors through personal interaction and more formal presentations.
- Ensuring clear and consistent communication with donors, acknowledgment of donations, prompt follow-up and appropriate donor recognition.
- Creating and managing a robust schedule of development events with assistance of staff as a means of engaging new and existing donors.
- Developing a comprehensive corporate donor strategy with accompanying policy.
- Managing the appropriate development software and technology platform and ensuring the accurate maintenance of donor records and development-related activities and information.
- Partnering with the Executive Director to prepare for Board meetings, develop strategies to leverage each Board member’s individual skills, and ensure personal solicitation of each Board member to attract leadership contributions and 100% participation. Attend Board meetings and prepare presentations to inform the Board of Directors.
- Developing comprehensive communications protocol for BU Wellness staff relative to development and fundraising activities, ensuring consistent messaging and branding relative to the mission and vision of the organization.
- Handling the administrative development details, such as: schedule meetings, data entry, send cultivation letters out on time and follow up on proposals. Assist with operations work, as needed.
- Overseeing, improving, and evolving the execution and tracking of all funding proposals/applications to individual, foundation, corporate, and governmental grant makers.
Highly qualified candidates will bring a variety of experiences and attributes including:
- Minimum three years of professional experience in nonprofit fundraising, business development or a related field.
- High energy, entrepreneurial spirit and passion for the mission of BU.
- Experience in planning and managing development projects, including coordinating with departments within an organization.
- Demonstrated ability to compose and manage comprehensive grant proposals, government contracts, and corporate contracts.
- Quantifiable experience in cultivating and maintaining relationships with individual donors. Demonstrated success in making cold calls, and developing solicitation strategies.
- A track record of delivering superior results, quickly building trust and relationships and assuming leadership.
- Experience with strategic communications, marketing and branding, a plus
- Savvy with technology, familiar with design, and implementation of web- and social-media-based donor campaigns.
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfort with being part of an intimate team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail, excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Sound professional judgment, an exemplary moral compass, exceptional personal integrity, and high ethical standards that engender trust.
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and fundraising software programs.
To apply, upload resume, cover letter, and salary requirements by clicking by clicking here*. For other inquiries, contact Adrienne O’Rourke at Adrienne.ORourke [at] marcumllp.com (). Resume reviews begin immediately. BU provides equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, pregnancy or recent childbirth or related medical condition, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, the use of a guide or support animal because of blindness, deafness or physical handicap of any individual, citizenship, veteran or military status, genetic information, marital status, familial status, domestic or sexual violence victim status, possession of a GED instead of a high school diploma, or any other protected characteristic under applicable federal, state or local laws. About Raffa – Marcum’s Nonprofit & Social Sector GroupOn behalf of BU, Raffa – Marcum’s Nonprofit & Social Sector Group is working with the Board of Directors to advance the search. Founded in 1984 and recently merged with Marcum, Raffa is, and always has been, a mission-driven professional services firm seeking to do more for nonprofits and socially conscious companies like BU. Learn more about our work at http://marcumllp.com/industries/nonprofit-social-sector. *Apply: https://curawebservices.mindscope.com/RAFFA04463_CURA/Aspx/form.aspx?lang=en&Job_ID=454&source=lgbtpipeline