ColorOfChange is the nation’s largest online Black political organization with over 1 million members nationally. As a result of our strategic approaches and innovative campaigns, we’re increasingly recognized as a growing force for change by national media.We get results – we’ve weakened right-wing legislative efforts by convincing dozens of corporations to pull their support from the American Legislative Exchange Council, improved the portrayal of Black folks on TV by winning the cancellation of COPS and Oxygen Network’s “All My Babies’ Mamas”, and won criminal justice victories such as ending “Stop and Frisk” policing tactics in New York City. And that’s just a small sampling of the nearly 100 victories we’ve won in our nine-year history. With a vibrant C3 and C4, as well as an emerging PAC, ColorOfChange has a combined budget of over $4 million annually.
About the RoleReporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director (ED), the Development Director (Director) will spearhead development efforts as ColorOfChange continues to grow. A new position in the organization, the Director will have the opportunity to build the development function.The Development Director will:
- Design development strategy for ColorOfChange: Develop and execute our annual fundraising plan and lead long-term, multi-year planning efforts
- Leadership: Serve as a member of the leadership team and participate in strategic and operational planning
- Establish a robust major gifts program: Create and execute a strategy to cultivate a large (100+) sustained base of individual donors, including development and execution a comprehensive moves-management plan for cultivation, solicitation, appreciation, and stewardship of gifts from individuals
- Execute capital campaigns: Plan and manage ColorOfChange’s new digital platform and amplification vehicle capital campaign
- Manage the development team: Manage the Development Officer/Grant Writer who is responsible for developing and tracking proposals and reports for all foundation fundraising
- Oversee donor data management: Implement donor and gift tracking software and work with staff responsible for data entry and gift processing.
- Communicate and train: Train and mentor staff and communicate fundraising goals and progress throughout ColorOfChange. Work with Executive Director to craft and present annual fundraising goals, projections, and results to the Board of Directors, as well as train Board members to make asks
- Oversee fundraising events: Manage consultants and contractors to create successful special events, be it our 10thanniversary gala or volunteer-driven house party fundraisers.
- Support the Executive Director: Direct the Executive Director’s asks and fundraising meetings so that he is maximally efficient.
Qualifications We’re seeking candidates who are results-oriented and have strong project and people-management skills. You should have:
- Development/Fundraising: Proven success in nonprofit development with a clear track record of developing relationships with high net-worth philanthropic individuals and foundations and the ability to structure specific solicitations and to negotiate and close $10,000+ gifts. Has either operated within a $1 million+ operation or personally developed the strategy for a $250,000 or more program. Experience with fundraising software (e.g. Raiser’s Edge, Neon CRM, Salesforce) a plus
- Project Leadership: Experience in planning, leading, and managing development projects, including coordinating with others to achieve desired outcomes, and tracking and reporting on progress to senior managers/board of directors
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: Takes initiative and actively seeks to deepen current donor relationships and to forge new ones
- Communications: Skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising. Ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials. Experience and credibility when presenting materials to external audiences
- Influencing: Gets others to accept ideas by using convincing arguments, creates a win-win situation and responds appropriately to key stakeholders
- Collaboration: Effective at working with others to reach common goals and objectives
- Relationship Building: Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships, internally and externally
- Personal connection to our mission: You understand why ColorOfChange needs to exist in the world and that Black people face systemic barriers to opportunity and you’re up for the challenge of changing that.