In America today, 2.2 million people still do not have hot and cold running water, a bathtub or shower, or a working flush toilet. At least 44 million more do not have clean water that is safe to drink. DigDeep is the only WASH (water, sanitation, and hygiene) organization serving U.S. communities with the goal of closing the Water Gap once and for all. Founded in Los Angeles in 2012, DigDeep believes access to clean water is a human right. Today, DigDeep runs several nationally recognized programs that empower communities to build their own water and sanitation systems while investing in research, storytelling, and sector-building work.
The Director of Development is the senior staff member in charge or strategizing, coordinating, and implementing all aspects of DigDeep’s partnership and fundraising efforts. The Director of Development will be responsible for building and leading a high-performing Development Department, including producing high quality communications and development collateral, developing and maintaining effective tracking systems, and stewarding and expanding the donor portfolio. She/He/They will lead the development team and function with particular focus on the following priorities:
- Creating and implementing a strategic, diversified, multi-year development strategy for DigDeep
- Envisioning and building a cross-functional development team to ensure DigDeep reaches (or exceeds) all organizational and revenue goals
- Further professionalizing development programs and practices by implementing best-in-class fundraising tools, systems, and processes
- Ensuring a collaborative and data-driven approach to all fundraising and donor relationship management
You will own the process and strategy for every dollar that comes into the organization and the relationship behind it. You are thinking 10 steps ahead, aligning the people, knowledge, and resources needed to identify and close major development opportunities.
- Implement and maintain a moves management system to ensure strategic and productive engagements with all major donors;
- Develop and steward a robust pipeline of high-value donor prospects using wealth screenings and other services; conduct research and compile briefs to support the CEO’s major meetings;
- Strategically leverage the CEO to maximize donor relationship and cultivation opportunities; schedule and prep the CEO; accompany to key meetings;
- Develop and maintain other systems (e.g. budgeting, performance monitoring, calendaring, reporting, CRM) to enhance effectiveness of the Development Department;
- Collaborate with the CEO to create annual development plans including events, major donor, grassroots donor, foundation, and partner fundraising; manage a process for monitoring and reporting progress;
- Collaborate with the Program team to stay current on funding needs, collect information for grant proposals/reports, source storytelling material, and plan and execute field visits for donors and prospects;
- Oversee private and government grant funding, including research, preparation of high-quality proposals, submission of timely and accurate grant reports; create systems to ensure that all grant agreements and reporting requirements are organized and met, and that an active grant calendar is maintained;
- Develop and manage relationships with contractors including grant writers, social media providers, email designers, communications strategists, researchers, and direct mail companies; execute bidding processes; monitor contract compliance and ensure projects stay on time and under budget;
- Help corporations and institutional donors find meaningful ways to support the work in ways that create shared value (ex. cause marketing campaigns, branded product, volunteer/visit opportunities);
- Manage the CRM and mailing/email lists and create processes to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and being actively leveraged;
- Lead all external donor communications, including email and direct-mail campaigns; create fundraising materials, campaign sites, videos, and other collateral; create and track campaign calendars; maintain and segment donor lists;
- Oversee Public Relations; manage PR contractor(s), select and prep staff for interviews, and ensure accurate reporting; coordinate PR efforts with the CEO;
- Ensure that key processes and procedures are understood by multiple Development staff to ensure continuity of service;
- Act as the development liaison to the Board CFO; prepare monthly Board Development updates.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- You believe anything is figure-out-able;
- You are innovative and adaptive, devoted to professional growth based on lessons learned and constructive feedback;
- You are a highly organized multi-tasker with a project management mindset;
- You relate openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people;
- You gain the trust of others through your honesty, integrity, and authenticity;
- You love people and figuring out how to align their interests with opportunities to create change;
- You understand the value of healthy data and are comfortable using CRM and data to make giving more predictable and efficient;
- You have experience managing a staff and a budget of similar size and complexity;
- You like to track your performance and continuously improve;
- You have the flexibility to travel and attend meetings and events outside of regular business hours;
- You are driven by a desire to make our country (and our world) a better place to live.
Inquiries, nominations, or applications (including a cover letter and resume) should be directed electronically and in confidence, to /Users/Kevin%20Chase/Dropbox/1a_SharedDriveFolders/KCESG/CLIENTS%20--%20ACTIVE/Trevor%20Project/Job%20Description/search [at] kevinchasesearch.com" rel="nofollow">search [at] kevinchasesearch.com. We are pleased to answer any questions or supply further information.