At PAI, we are motivated by one powerful truth: a woman who is in charge of her reproductive health can change her life and transform her community. PAI is a global organization that champions policies that put women in charge of their reproductive health, including access to contraception, and safe and legal abortion. PAI achieves this through a 50+ year presence in Washington, DC, advocating with those who drive policy change, and defend against policies that harm women and girls. We also make it possible for local civil society organizations throughout Africa, Asia and Latin America, to access the funding, training and partnership they need to achieve policy change in their own local context. We are simultaneously on the front lines and in the background, focused first and foremost on the impact our work has on the lives of women and girls around the world.
We are seeking a strategic, motivated, creative fundraising professional to be our next Director of Foundation Relations, a pivotal member of our senior team. The work of PAI is diverse and growing, and the Foundation Relations team is responsible for generating approximately 85% of the organization’s over $13 million in annual revenue through managing and renewing existing multi-year grants as well as cultivating new opportunities. Your role will be to lead PAI’s efforts to grow our relationships with key foundation donors and manage an existing portfolio of approximately 26 active grants from 15 institutional donors including several major U.S. foundations.
This is an ideal position for someone who wants to take charge of a successful foundation relations program and help it grow. We’re looking for someone who understands the “relations” aspect of the job – that raising money isn’t just about proposals and reports, but about creating donor-centric relationships built on mutual trust, information sharing and common goals. This role also takes someone who understands advocacy, and knows how to translate the numerous meetings, consultations, reports and public statements it takes to achieve policy goals into proposals with tangible deliverables. The successful Director is someone who has experience with fundraising for international development programs, preferably in the Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) field.
- Master’s degree and 7+ years of relevant experience in Foundation Relations OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Previous experience working for an advocacy organization in international development and/or for a sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) organization
- Has strong network of contacts among foundations, and has demonstrated an ability to build relationships directly with foundations as well as between program/executive staff
- Entrepreneurial spirit to take initiative and actively seek to deepen current foundation relationships while forging new ones
- Can develop revenue projections based on existing funding relationships as well as solid prospect research and analysis, and will create the strategies and pipeline necessary to meet the revenue targets
- Can synthesize information about complex issues and write clear, persuasive, logical proposals
- Is an effective manager of projects, workflows and people, and takes his/her mentoring responsibilities seriously
- Able to travel internationally as needed
PAI has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Molly Brennan and Shelby Woods here. PAI is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.PAI does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, military status, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.