Project One America (POA) is HRC’s program to provide in-depth and localized resources in targeted states to improve the daily lives of the LGBT community in areas which have seen the fewest legal advances to date. The Director of Project One America will set strategy, develop tactics and oversee the execution of HRC’s Project One America. The Director will lead and oversee the implementation of comprehensive plans for each state in the program. Working with departments throughout the organization to determine and assess state objectives, the plans will include: business, faith and membership outreach, state legislative goals, federal lobbying targets, and metrics for advances in the daily lives of the LGBT community. The Director will oversee state-based efforts and staff, and a team in Washington to assist in implementation of the program. A critical element of the Director’s position will be to provide coordination, communication and direction to program staff. The Director will also serve as the public face and voice of HRC, and manage relationships with key political leaders, donors and coalition partners across the nation.
- A Bachelor’s degree required. Minimum of five years relevant work experience in the areas of political organizing and advocacy, as well as direct management experience.
- At least five years of direct management experience to build/lead highly effective teams. A proven track record of taking initiative and showing leadership within the workplace setting. Must be a strategic thinker with sound policy judgment and political acumen.
- Demonstrated experience working in state-based efforts. Leading state-based campaigns a plus.
- An in-depth knowledge of LGBT issues.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with strong ability to influence others and build a collaborative environment. Ability to foster relationships with external allies, decision makers, and stakeholders; to work in both a team atmosphere and independently; and to meet internal and external demands in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for a wide range of audiences.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems either independently or within a cross-functional team environment.
Please visit our website to apply: www.hrc.org/careers