Family Equality Council is the leading national organization dedicated to lived and legal equality for the roughly 3 million LGBTQ parents raising more than 6 million children in the U.S. today. Family Equality Council fosters supportive communities, educates the public, and pursues policy change to advance equality for LGBTQ-headed families across the country. Despite some recent legal victories (most notably the 2014 SCOTUS marriage decision) these facts remain: most LGBTQ families must continue to fight for full equality and recognition and many current legal and cultural structures continue to be harmful to LGBTQ parents and their children. Through its work, Family Equality Council is committed to a future in which families with parents who are LGBTQ are legally recognized, valued by society, and afforded equal opportunity to thrive.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director of Family Equality Council will assume responsibility for day-to-day leadership and operation of the organization. She/He/They will oversee the organization's programs and services, help expand fundraising efforts, and lead a staff of 16 in New York, Washington, D.C., Boston, Wisconsin, and Florida. The ideal candidate will be a proven and successful organizational leader and have:
- Minimum of 5-10 years' management experience; preferably including nonprofit organization leadership, as an executive or Board member;
- Proven track record of success in fundraising as demonstrated by growing an organization's philanthropic income and base of support;
- Experience working effectively and collaboratively with a volunteer Board of Directors or similar governing body;
- Budget management experience in a program or organization of at least $2.5 million;
- Staff management experience of at least 10-15 professionals; preference for someone who has successfully managed a remote team or employees.
She/he/they should bring exceptional communications skills and media savvy; the ability to make impactful connections with a wide range of constituencies; a leadership style which provides strategic direction and encourages collaboration and creativity; the openness to learn and grow from content experts and long-term supporters in and around the organization.
Nominations, inquiries, or applications (including a cover letter and resume/curriculum vitae) should be directed electronically and in confidence, to: kevin [at] kevinchasesearch.com.