Whether it’s reforming a broken and racially biased criminal justice system, advancing immigrant rights, preserving the right to vote, defending reproductive freedom, protecting freedom of speech and religion, or achieving full equality for LGBTQ people, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) takes up the most important civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
The Chief Financial Officer will be tasked with ensuring smooth and efficient functioning of the organization by implementing and maintaining sound fiscal procedures and practices, maintaining a robust operations infrastructure, including risk management, and facilitating a collaborative, strategic, and efficient workflow across functional areas and teams. The CFO will be a member of ACLU-NC’s senior leadership team, along with the Legal Director, the Political Director, and heads of Operations, Communications, and Fundraising. This person will have primary responsibility for three core functional areas: financial management, infrastructure and process improvement, and risk management. In addition to these specific areas of accountability, the CFO will function as a strategic and thought partner to the Executive Director in planning for the future success of the organization.
This Chief Financial Officer role is a newly structured position, reflecting the needs of a successful organization with a staff that has nearly tripled in size since 2016. The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will be an experienced financial manager who will help shape the future of the ACLU-NC and increase the effectiveness and capacity of the organization. Successful candidates must have:
- Demonstrated skills in budget management, accounting, internal controls, and financial analysis, (including scenario planning);
- Previous management experience, including supervising staff, managing budgets, working effectively with other professional staff;
- Firm commitment to the mission and principles of the American Civil Liberties Union;
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant training or experience in business, accounting, or financial management;
- CPA accreditation or 3 to 5 years of financial management experience in a significant managerial role;
- Ability to effectively juggle multiple priorities and projects at various stages of completion;
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills, including a keen attention to detail;
- Work experience that demonstrates a confident and professional work style and an ability to work creatively and independently;
- Ability to work effectively across ages, races, socio-economic statuses, ethnicities, sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions;
- Proficiency with QuickBooks accounting software and Excel;
- Strong command of investment principles preferred.
Kevin Chase Executive Search Group has been retained to lead this recruitment effort on behalf of the ACLU of North Carolina. The ACLU of North Carolina is an equal opportunity employer. A diverse workforce and an inclusive culture is valued. The ACLU of North Carolina and Kevin Chase Executive Search Group encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. We are pleased to answer any questions or supply further information. Inquiries, nominations, or applications (including a cover letter and resume) should be directed electronically and in confidence, to:Kevin Chase, Managing PartnerKevin [at] kevinchasesearch.comCatie DiFelice, Senior AssociateCatie [at] kevinchasesearch.com