The National Center for Transgender Equality is the nation’s leading social justice advocacy organization winning life-saving change for transgender people. NCTE is a national social justice organization devoted to ending discrimination and violence against transgender people through education and advocacy on national issues of importance to transgender people. By empowering transgender people and our allies to educate and influence policymakers and others, NCTE facilitates a strong and clear voice for transgender equality in our nation's capital and around the country.
DescriptionThe Family Organizer is a full-time temporary (4-month) position with the potential to become permanent if funding allows. The Family Organizer will work to mobilize parents and family members of transgender people, transgender young people, as well as support and community groups serving families, to advocate for transgender rights--particularly the rights of transgender youth--on the local, state, and national levels. This position works closely with the Community Storytelling Advocate to better engage parents and families of transgender people. Through this position, NCTE will provide training opportunities on advocating for transgender rights and mobilize families and transgender youth to lobby, testify, speak with media, and more.Duties and Responsibilities
- Build out NCTE’s network of parents and family members of transgender people, transgender youth, as well as support groups serving families, to increase NCTE’s mobilization and advocacy network.
- Identify members with impactful stories, so that they can participate in NCTE’s storytelling efforts.
- Recruit experts, such as school administrators or medical providers, who work with transgender youth and are interested in advocating with and for transgender young people.
- Maintain and update an ongoing list of frequently asked questions about how to best support transgender youth.
- Write and edit resources for the mobilization network, based both on inquiries from the network and needs identified by NCTE.
- Assist the Community Storytelling Advocate in planning, scheduling, and conducting both in-person and remote trainings.
- Engage with external partners to promote participation in the mobilization network
- Potential to serve as an on-the-record spokesperson, as needed.
- Other duties as need requires.
Salary and BenefitsSalary range for this position is competitive and based in part on the candidate’s experiences and skills.
- People Person: Enjoys working with people through fun and easy times as well as challenging times, and never hesitates to pick up the phone to connect with new people.
- Self-direction: Takes initiative and is resourceful and ambitious about moving projects forward without significant supervision.
- Communications: Skilled in creating and editing powerful, compelling written work.
- Collaborative Spirit: Ability to work as integral part of a team of hard-working, energetic professionals, taking input from a variety of assertive colleagues.
- Prioritization and Detail Orientation: Ability to set and meet goals, prioritize, plan, manage, and complete work on deadline and with optimum quality.
- Commitment to Social Justice: An understanding of issues affecting transgender people as well as an understanding of racism, classism and other systems of inter-connected oppressions is critical.
- Technical Expertise: Ability to manage and maintain the network mobilization listserv and to work within NCTE’s existing database.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a rapid-paced professional environment that requires the successful management of multiple projects and internal and external correspondence, as well as the skill to pivot with changing needs.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
Email a resume and cover letter to apply [at] transequality.org (a single PDF document is preferred), with the subject line “Family Organizer.” Inquire over email if an acknowledgement of your application is not received after one week. Please no calls. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.