ROLE SUMMARY: The Finance and Operations Coordinator plays a key support role in ensuring that others have what they need to be successful and that our constituents have a rewarding and meaningful experience. This is a great role for someone looking to gain experience in a social justice, entrepreneurial organization. A high degree of professionalism, customer service, and organizational skills are required, as well as the ability to work independently and with a team. Passion for continuous learning and development is essential. This position reports to the Director of Finance with a dotted line to the Senior Program Manager. They will also work closely with many members of the Peace First team. ABOUT PEACE FIRST:Peace First was founded in 1992 at Harvard University upon a simple idea: if we are going to solve the world’s greatest problems, we must support this generation of young people with the skills and commitments to solve problems by connecting across lines of difference with compassion, standing up for ideals and others with courage, and creating collaborative change.Currently, there are 1.6 billion young people, ages 13-25, around the world. They care deeply about what’s going on, they have boundless ideas on how to solve injustices and are ready to act yet seldom are they asked by adults what they think or, better yet, supported in bringing their ideas to life. Few have access to tools, mentors, and resources to turn their insights into reality. This is the divide we bridge.Peace First provides a blended digital design platform where young people can imagine and create powerful innovations to solve real problems in the world. In addition to digital design tools, we provide mentors, connections with young people from over 145 countries, and small start-up grants that start at $250 and scale up to $25,000 as youth scale their work. All of this takes place on the Peace First digital platform — the world’s largest marketplace for youth-led social change initiatives.In order for us to achieve our long-term goal of supporting a movement of 2.5 million engaged, compassionate, and creative youth, Peace First is launching a $10 million Global Youth Investment Fund to provide the financial spark to support efforts for social change. It will be the single largest investment in youth social action ever.
POSITION OVERVIEW:The Finance and Operations Coordinator performs various financial and accounting tasks, such as preparing budgets and financial reports, offering advice on fiscal procedures, managing accounting records, handling payments, and troubleshooting accounts payable on an enterprise and program level. Key areas of success will be dependent on the Coordinator’s ability to understand the intricacies of finance and accounting and be comfortable working with numbers. The Finance and Operations Coordinator will work closely with the Director of Program Management and Senior Program Manager, advising them on different reports, best practices, and relevant accounting and financial data. Specific responsibilities include: Manage, Track, and Process Financial Needs for Program Implementation Team (25%): Processing & tracking mini-grants as requests come in, including managing relationships with Western Union. Maintain the mini-grant tracker and database and ensure that financial records are stored and reported back to the central financial system. Purchasing/travel booking for Fellows in Residence (FIR) as requested. Support the Director of Program Management and Senior Program Manager to track and manage the program team budget, act as a conduit between program & finance, and processing payment/reimbursements for Fellows. Support Program Implementation Administrative Needs (25%): Work with the Director of Program Management and Senior Program Manager to identify, prioritize and triage Fellows’ operational and programmatic needs via emails, meetings, and conversations. Support in travel and event planning/organizing for Fellows-related events (i.e. Accelerators, gatherings, etc.). Support the program implementation team in developing a knowledge management system to store FIR learning, tools, and plans within Google Drive, Trello, etc. Support as needed on special projects (e.g. manage logistics for next round of FIR hiring). Support Finance and Operations on Enterprise Level (50%):
- Provide Basic Accounting and Bookkeeping Support to Team: Under the guidance of their direct supervisor, the Finance Coordinator provides basic bookkeeping and accounting support to team members. This involves tasks such as reviewing their financial statements for inaccuracies and monitoring financial activity.
- Assist With Tax Returns or Audits: Maintain financial database and record keeping system for tax and audit purposes and processes. Support in creating processes for payment disbursements domestically and internationally.
- Support, Monitor, and Document Travel and Team Meeting Expenses: Track all team members’ expenses, which includes things such as travel expenses and meals with clients.
- Keep Track of and Verify Accounts Payable and Receivable: Under the guidance of Finance and Operations Director, keep track of and verify all the money going into and out of the business through accounts payable and receivable.
- Support day-to-day Peace First’s operations, including:
- performing administrative duties including answering phones and monitoring voicemails, opening and processing mail, depositing checks, etc.
- Working on behalf of the Operations team to promote Peace First’s policies and standards (i.e. time trackers, reimbursement policies, etc)
- Monitoring inventory and placing supply orders
- Maintaining and organizing Peace First’s financial and operational databases.
START DATE / LOCATIONImmediately. This is a remote position available to candidates authorized to work in the United States.
SKILL SETS NEEDED TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS ROLE:
- At least 1-2 years experience with bookkeeping and accounting software such as Quickbooks and working with a variety of finance systems
- Experience working with Western Union in a global setting and with different currencies.
- 1-2 years international accounting and/or payroll experience preferred
- Must have strong problem-solving skills and detail orientation
- Exceptionally reliable, able to complete tasks consistently, thoroughly, and on time.
- Prior experience working in a small business environment with revenue in the $5M to $10M range is a plus.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects and work with a variety of people across the world.
- Skilled at communicating and explaining complex financial systems and data to people not experienced in finance
- International finance experience preferred
- Must be fluent in English. Arabic and Spanish skills are a plus, but not required
- Ability to work independently as well as prioritize multiple tasks in a highly dynamic environment
- Ability to be flexible in a start-up environment where tasks and projects change quickly
- Experience working in a range of international/cultural environments
Bonus Competencies include:
- Experience of designing systems for and delivering training to staff working in international settings
- Knowledge and understanding related to HR functions, finance and labor laws, and compliance in a range of settings
ALL MEMBERS OF OUR TEAM, REGARDLESS OF ROLE, SHOULD HAVE THESE QUALITIES AND EXPERIENCE:
- Commitment to contributing to an overall organizational culture that is inquisitive, youth-centered, caring, and fun
- Belief in and leading with Peace First’s core values of courage, compassion, and collaboration
- Commitment to supporting young people as they change the world for the better through peacemaking
- Capacity to integrate into all functional areas while autonomously leading one’s work
- Proficiency in Google Applications and Microsoft Office Suite
OTHER REQUIREMENTSWritten and spoken fluency in English, including fluency in colloquial United States English. Candidates must be able to verify that they are authorized to accept employment in the United States.
TO APPLY:Please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining why the mission of Peace First resonates, as well as your relevant track-record via WorkPop. Click here to be taken to the site. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.For more information about Peace First, go to http://www.peacefirst.org.EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENTPeace First is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military service, age, ancestry, or disability.