The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice works to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups around the world - particularly those led by lesbian and queer women, trans and gender non-conforming folks, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to challenge oppression and claim rights. A proud public foundation and one of the first women’s funds in the world, in our 41 year history we have granted over $40 million to LGBTQI activists and artists.
Astraea seeks an extremely organized, collaborative and detailed-oriented person to join our Program Team as a Grants Management Associate. Working with a dynamic team of 10 people, the Grants Management Associate works to ensure that every one of Astraea’s applicants and grantee partners has a smooth and welcoming experience with our application and grantmaking systems.The Grants Management Associate (GMA) will work with the Senior Grants Manager to support the administration and processing of $3.5 million of grantmaking per year in more than 60 countries, spread across more than 350 grants. The GMA’s work is integral to increasing Astraea’s grantmaking capacity, improving efficiency, and ensuring that Astraea is in line with the field’s best practices. People of color; lesbian, bisexual and queer women; trans and gender non-conforming people; intersex people; and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.This position is Part Time (21 Hours per week) and based in New York.Primary Responsibilities and Areas of Work:
- Supporting the administration of grant application cycles, including intake and data entry of grant applications and assuring compliance with grantmaking regulationsCreating and maintain appropriate grant files
- Preparing, processing, and tracking grants payments and balances
- Scheduling and reporting requirements and payments for new grants
- Keeping multiple databases and spreadsheets up to date daily
- Communicating externally with grantee partners and applicants
- Communicating internally with Program and Fiscal staff eg to resolve wire-transfer issues
- Supporting grantee partners facing challenges receiving funds
- Working with the Program Team, and organizational staff at Astraea to uplift our shared vision and values with all grantee and philanthropic partnerships.
- Two years or more of administrative or data-intensive work experience in social justice, human rights and/or philanthropic fields.
- Fastidious attention to detail when tracking large amount of complicated data
- Ability to multi-task and handle complicated administrative projects
- Commitment to and knowledge of issues facing global and/or LGBTQI racial justice and feminist movements
- Interest in public philanthropy and grants management
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize when facing multiple and sometimes competing deadlines
- Ability to adapt to new database, data-tracking tools, and protocols
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with a proven track record in developing creative solutions
- Excellent interpersonal skills to manage a wide variety of internal organizational relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Fluency in a language common among grantee partners (Spanish, French, Mandarin) is a strong plus
Please send a cover letter expressing your interest and experience, a resume/CV, and 3 references who can speak to your recent work to jobs [at] astraeafoundation.org in .pdf or .doc format or submit via the form on our website by Jan 15, 2018. No phone calls, please. Only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment. For more information visit www.astraeafoundation.org.