The National Network of Abortion Funds builds power with members to remove financial and logistical barriers to abortion access by centering people who have abortions and organizing at the intersections of racial, economic, and reproductive justice.
Organizational Overview: The National Network of Abortion Funds (NNAF) builds power with members to remove financial and logistical barriers to abortion access by centering people who have abortions and organizing at the intersections of racial, economic and reproductive justice. Together with our members, we advocate for cultural and political change to ensure access for people who face the greatest obstacles to abortion access: women with lower income, women of color, young women, and transgender and gender nonconforming people. This is an exciting time for NNAF as we grow, nurture new funds emerging in underserved areas, deepen our support for funds working within the reproductive justice framework, and co-lead a bold national coalition campaign to increase abortion access by restoring Medicaid coverage for abortion. We are working to make access to abortion a reality for everyone, no matter their resources. We are building a movement, mentoring young leaders, and working toward a world in which everyone can shape their own futures and families. We invite you to join us as the newest member of our dedicated and growing team.NNAF is comprised of a multi-racial, multi-religious, gender expansive staff of 31, located across the United States. We know how important it is to support our remote staff to maintain connection and cohesiveness as a team. To this end, we ensure weekly one-on-one supervision, face-to-face virtual staff meetings, quarterly in-person meetings, and more.
- Are you looking for us?
Do you have a passion for people, racial, economic & reproductive justice, and HR systems that serve people? Are you focused on inclusion, equity & accessibility across all HR processes & systems? Are you highly-skilled at recruiting/onboarding and benefits administration while taking the lead to make continuous improvements during a season of rapid growth? If this sounds like you, and you enjoy a quick tempo and can build relationships naturally in the midst of a remote environment, apply now!
- Position Description:
The HR Manager is a proven hiring, on-boarding & benefits specialist. They are responsible for improving and maintaining HR systems and structures that support the day-to-day effectiveness of NNAF’s staff. They play a critical role in managing a number of human resource functions and provide smooth and efficient service that meets the expectations and needs of a largely remote staff. They use values-driven practices to recruit, hire & support a diverse group of staff.Estimated Date to Hire: October 2019
- Supervised by: Human Resources Director (HRD)
- Supervises: Human Resources Associate (HR Associate) & intern(s) if applicable
- Status: The position is full-time, exempt/non-exempt, salaried.
- Compensation: $70,000-77,200 commensurate with experience, with competitive benefits package
- Benefits: Competitive benefits package currently including 100% employer paid health insurance/50% for dependents/families, a 5% employer retirement match, 3 weeks vacation, 14 holidays, generous sick time, and a commitment to professional development.
- Location: Flexible, with slight preference for Chicago
- Primary Responsibilities:
Employee Life Cycle: Hiring, Onboarding & Offboarding (approximately 50% of the position)
- Manage & improve the systems in BambooHR for all HR life-cycle processes from recruiting through onboarding, tenure & offboarding, ensuring all documentation is kept in appropriate folders (with appropriate level of permissions/confidentiality), thereby keeping all personnel files 100% electronic and 100% up-to-date, while being compliant with all state and federal regulations.
- Manage the hiring process through
- Refining recruiting strategy & process to hit established equity benchmarks, ensuring a diverse & qualified pool of candidates for every open position.
- Ensuring established hiring processes are consistently followed, with an eye toward inclusion & equity.
- Overseeing and supporting the Operations Associate in executing smooth hiring and selection process logistics.
- Supports Hiring Managers in their selection & management throughout the hiring process.
- Manage the on-boarding process and orientation for new staff members & interns.
- Host in-person portion of onboarding trainings.
- Work with hiring managers to ensure goals, orientation and training plans are in place for new staff and are consistent across the organization.
- Verify and file employment documentation, keeping all personnel files accurate & up-to-date.
- Ensure that appropriate training, orientation, supervision, and evaluations are provided by individual departments in which interns are placed.
- Manage the off-boarding process ensuring compliance with federal and state requirements, consistent procedures are followed, and coordinating efforts of involved staff.
- Respond to & document employment verification requests.
- Participate in the development of staff retention activities.
- Advise staff on employee handbook policies, helping to ensure policies are accessible, understood by staff, and followed consistently.
Benefits Administration & Compliance (approximately 30% of the position)
- Manage effective benefit systems, ensuring smooth benefits administration for all employees, with an eye toward employee satisfaction & accessibility for every staff member.
- Ensure continued coverage through keeping track of policy renewal dates, and coordinating the open enrollment process for health, dental, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, Employee Assistance Program & retirement.
- Manage all benefits administration including staff enrollment, staff communications and education, timely notification of eligibility, required disbursement of notifications, and COBRA enrollment.
- Support HR Director in creating and managing the HR portion of Admin & Operations budget, as it relates to benefits.
- Manage organizational compliance with applicable laws in relation to document retention and labor law adherence.
- Ensure accurate benefits records are kept current in BambooHR, coordinate with benefits administrator to keep providers up-to-date with employee changes, and cross-checked monthly when bills are submitted for payment to ensure accuracy.
Management (approximately 10% of the position)
- Supervising assigned staff:
- Write position descriptions, and hire and manage assigned staff.
- Conduct supervision and evaluations and foster a relationship of mutual feedback.
- Provide ongoing mentoring to facilitate strategic growth for assigned staff and monitor individual work plans.
- Conduct necessary performance improvement plans, terminations, and other personnel actions in accordance with personnel policies.
- Oversee and support Operations Associate in ensuring smooth logistics for in-person and virtual staff meetings.
- Department Leadership: Collaborate with and support the HR Director in effectively implementing department work plans.
Other (approximately 10% of the position)
- Actively participate in required convenings, summits, retreats, and staff meetings, and participate in required virtual staff communications.
- Protect the organization by keeping information confidential.
- Update professional knowledge by participating in educational opportunities approved by NNAF, maintaining networks, and participating in professional organizations as relevant to your role.
- Perform duties required of all staff to support smooth internal operations such as submitting timely expense reports, reimbursement requests, and timesheets.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Travel Expectations: Ability to travel as job requires, approximately ten times minimum per year. Travel will primarily be overnight, for approximately 3-6 days, and national. Regardless of where the employee lives, and barring travel delays outside of an individual’s control, employee must be able to arrive at destination on-time.
Job experience requirements
- 5 or more years of relevant experience with an emphasis on hiring, onboarding and benefits administration.
- 1-2 years of experience in supervising staff, interns, or volunteers.
Specific skill sets
- Experience managing all aspects of hiring, onboarding & benefit cycle for staff of 50+.
- High levels of professional effectiveness, collaboration, integrity, optimism.
- Ability to use discretion when handling confidential information.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and a keen attention to detail.
- Excellent people skills, with experience collaborating in a multidisciplinary, diverse, and dynamic work environment.
- Relationship management and development skills with the ability to relate to and empathize with others.
- Effective delegation.
- Ability to be both an excellent individual contributor as well as an excellent manager
- Outstanding organization and detail orientation
- Flexible and adaptive work style with the ability to thrive in a growing, entrepreneurial, mission-driven environment.
- Comfort with cloud technology, databases and virtual office tools including: RingCentral, Gmail, Boomerang, Google Drive, Slack, Trello, SurveyGizmo, Microsoft Excel, Tresorit, BambooHR and ADP.
- Committed to abortion access and full reproductive health care for all.
- Committed to an intersectional framework that includes but is not limited to gender, economic, and racial justice.
- Ability to enjoy collaboration and be a part of a dynamic, highly productive and integrated team; maintain flexibility and effectively manage ambiguity in a responsive work environment.
- Committed to incorporating organizational values in all areas of working, particularly when creating systems, policies and procedures.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, creative, and able to work without significant day-to-day supervision.
- Open to giving and receiving feedback and committed to practicing this regularly.
- Belief in bucking the trend through progressive policies to create a new vision for our future.
- Appreciation of working with diverse staff and board in an organization committed to racial justice.
- Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with different abilities to perform the essential functions.● Depending on location, a combination of in-office and virtual office at this time. Must be able to participate in on-line virtual communications including email, video conferencing, and other online tools used to facilitate virtual office culture and work sharing.● This position is full time, with employee’s regular full time schedule to be approved by supervisor. Regular hours must include attendance during core business hours from 12:00pm – 5:00pm Eastern Time, Monday through Friday. Occasional work on evenings and weekends as needed.● Must be able to conduct business in English; however, fluency in languages other than English is a plus.● Smoke- and drug (illegal or recreational)-free environment.● Some work at off-site locations may be required; NNAF aims for accessibility in any off-site location that we have control of, but some of them may not be fully accessible.● This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and scanners. Employee is regularly required to communicate effectively via computer, via phone, and in person.● This role requires frequent sitting.
- Application Deadline: August 16, 2019 11:59PM CT for full consideration (open until filled)
- Instructions: Upload your resume and cover letter via this link. If you have any questions or trouble with the application process, send a message to jobs [at] abortionfunds.org.
NNAF is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any individual based on any non-merit factor, and is committed to an equitable workplace where everyone is treated as a respected and valued member of the team. In fact, NNAF actively seeks to build and maintain a diverse staff with regard to race, culture, ethnicity, class, religion, physical ability, age, gender, and sexual orientation. As an organization working in solidarity with the reproductive justice movement, NNAF is committed to fostering the leadership and elevating the voices of women, young people, people of color, Native people, immigrant and refugees, low-income people, LGBQ+, and transgender, gender non-conforming, and non-binary people, people who have had abortions, people with disabilities, young parents, people who were formerly imprisoned, people who have received funding for abortions, and people living in the many intersections of these experiences. We encourage people from these communities to apply.