City of Detroit
- Network / Enterprise Engineer IV is an advanced level information technology professional located within various offices in the City of Detroit Department of Innovation and Technology that requires nominal direction and supervision. The Network / Enterprise Engineer IV performs highly complex work that involves activities related to network architecture, hardware, and software to include routers, servers, lines (e.g. fiber optic or twisted pairs), protocols, system domains, Wide Area Network, Local Area Network, Intranet, and Internet. Network / Enterprise Engineers also perform work involving the generation and/or application of theories, principles, practical concepts, processes, and methods related to computer science technology specific to computer programming languages, computer hardware and software integration, and computer systems design requirements, standards, codes, techniques, and practices.
- Examples of Duties
- MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Communicates with system users to ensure accounts are set up properly or to diagnose and solve operational problems
- Coordinates network operations, maintenance, repairs, or upgrades
- Designs, builds, or operates complex equipment configuration prototypes, including network hardware, software, servers, or server operation systems
- Determines specific network hardware or software requirements, such as platforms, interfaces, bandwidths, or routine schemas
- Designs organize and deliver product awareness, skills transfer, or product education sessions for system users
- Designs, builds, implements, oversees and supports wireless technology (i.e. 802.11 a/b/g)
- Secures network system by establishing and enforcing policies; defining and monitoring access
- Monitors network performance and ensures system availability and reliability
- Coordinates and prepares design presentations and proposals
- Researches and tests new or modified hardware or software products to determine performance and interoperability
- Maintains networks by performing activities such as file addition, deletion, or backup
- Participates in network technology upgrade or expansion projects, including installation of hardware and software and integration testing
- Develops strategies, proposals, and budgets for network equipment replacement
- Attends conferences and training sessions to keep up with changes in technology
- Trains other DoIT personnel to resolve redundant network problems/issues
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
- Ability to:
- Apply the principles, practices, and techniques of systems programming to the installation, modification and maintenance of databases, and operating and telecommunication systems
- Maintain multiple information technology systems that may have different databases and use different programming languages and operating systems
- Evaluate, test, implement, and support new network systems
- Research, develop, design, implement, and maintain complex operating systems
- Work with sensitive information and maintain the confidentiality of such data and information
- Use project management methods, principles, and tools (software) to schedule projects and monitor progress
- Lead efforts in implementing configuration management and systems change management
- Provide technical advice/guidance to management for system use, i.e., capacity and resource utilization
- Write computer program operating instructions
- Create models, diagrams, or visuals to illustrate enterprise architecture direction
- Make decisions based on factual data and to evaluate the progress or success of systems
- Provide information technology-related advice and assistance to technical and non-technical individuals at all levels of the City
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent educational and/or work experience
- Must have 10+ years supporting global enterprise network across data center, LAN and WAN technologies.
- Multiple successful implementations of (including the ability to setup, configure, upgrade, manage and troubleshoot) Routers and switches, Wireless Access Points, Avaya Telephony and Firewall
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to all levels of the organization.
- Strong experience working in cross-functional team.
- Proven ability to identify problems and develop recommendations to address.
$99,573 - $119,550
Tuesday, August 13, 2019