The Democratic Governors Association, the campaign committee responsible for electing and supporting Democratic governors, is seeking a Major Donor Director for the 2021-2022 election cycle. The Major Donor Director plays a significant role to support the DGA’s strategic planning by leading an important sector of its fundraising department. The Major Donor Director is empowered to create and implement an ambitious fundraising program that strategically collaborates with prominent major donors from the Democratic Party and progressive causes through virtual/in-person events, meetings with principals, and other creative programs. This position will report to the National Finance Director and Deputy National Finance Director and may be responsible for managing a team dedicated to growing the Major Donor program while also collaborating with a Finance Assistant on projects and tasks related to the DGA Major Donor program.
- Create and operationalize an ambitious fundraising goal to raise new and existing contributions from national major donors from around the country while meeting or exceeding agreed upon expectations;
- Cultivate and deliver new major donor contributions to the DGA that significantly grow the program well beyond past performance;
- Manage the major donor membership program and responding to existing donors needs and requests;
- Oversee rigorous call time programs for Democratic governors;
- Manage national consultants from around the country who raise money to DGA;
- Plan and organize events that include ideological, high net worth individual donors, both virtually and in locations around the country;
- Accurately track contributions and pledges to provide reporting and projections to the National Finance Director and Deputy Finance Director on a regular basis;
- Work across departments to create investment materials for prospective donors;
- Prepare donor meeting and event materials as necessary;
- Frequent travel is expected to achieve goals and perform regular responsibilities;
- Other special projects, assignments, and duties as assigned by the National Finance Director and Deputy National Finance Director.
- Strong ability and experience to fundraise and make significant contribution asks without a principal;
- A creative, ambitious, and collaborative approach to political fundraising;
- Strong organizational skills, as well as written and verbal communications skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate well with colleagues and donors;
- Strong ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects and relationships at the same time;
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong familiarity with Democratic political actors and landscape;
- Superior time management skills, close attention to detail and multi-tasking abilities;
- Strong computer skills and proficient in Microsoft Office and MailChimp;
- The ability to work collaboratively under tight deadlines;
- Must be comfortable with long, irregular hours during peak seasons;
- Experience working at least three cycles as a fundraiser on political campaigns, political consulting firms, campaign committees and/or progressive organizations;
- A strong interest in politics and a commitment to advancing the principles and goals of the nation’s Democratic governors.
Diversity Practices The DGA recognizes that its continued success requires a staff of hardworking, intelligent people from diverse backgrounds. The DGA is committed to ensuring equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or veteran status. The DGA strongly encourages individuals with a diverse background to apply to this position and to share why your demonstrated commitment to diversity and experience working in diverse communities makes you a strong applicant as part of your cover letter. CLOSINGThe DGA offices are based in downtown Washington, DC and we are currently in a remote work protocol due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The DGA will work with potential candidates to schedule remote interviews and process on-boarding procedures remotely, as necessary. This position comes with full health care benefits and compensation is commensurate with the position and experience.Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume through this application.