We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team.
Position Summary:The Major Gifts Officer – Greater Los Angeles is a regular, full-time position responsible for the identification, cultivation and solicitation of contributions from major donors and major donor prospects (in coordination with the Director of Major Gifts, the Leadership Giving program and the other major gifts officers). This position will play an important role in significantly growing an engagement strategy for Greater Los Angeles, while building and managing a portfolio of regional major gift prospects, expanding the scope and scale of HRC’s philanthropic efforts, and helping formulate strategy and implementation of plans to achieve fundraising goals. There is an expectation that this person will be visible in the community and is expected to be working and at a significant number of evening events thought the year. Position Responsibilities:
- Implement programs/activities to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors at the major gift level ($5K level and above), with a specific emphasis on growing the base of donors making gifts of at least $25K. Actively participate in the identification and qualification of new major gift and leadership gift prospects.
- Cultivate & grow a visible presence within the LGBTQ community in Los Angeles to be seen as a part of the engaged donor community in the Los Angeles area. Regularly attend and represent HRC at important events in the LGBTQ community and build robust network of donors and prospects.
- Develop relationships with HRC’s already robust and dynamic donor base in Los Angeles, working strategically with Boards, Development and Political department staff, and other major gift officers. Ensure donors feel connected to the organization, staff and mission and recognize the importance of HRC’s national mission and local efforts. Develop a comprehensive plan to include upgrading current donors and identifying and soliciting new donors to meet budgeted goals for Los Angeles.
- Identify opportunities for further engagement with donors and prospects to support HRC’s 501(C)(3), 501(C)(4), HRC PAC, and HRC Equality Votes Fund, and HRC’s Planned Giving Program.
- Assist in identifying prospects in the Greater Los Angeles area that are potential matches with HRC’s other development programs including corporate partnerships; foundation fundraising; and Federal Club giving, and work closely with the respective staff in those programs to facilitate introductions & meetings, as appropriate.
- Foster opportunities for other HRC staff leadership with donors and other community leaders in the Greater Los Angeles area. Provide in-depth briefing documents in advance of such meetings. Execute events and other fundraising activities that advance HRC’s relationship with donors/prospects.
- Lead preparation & staffing of principal and other senior leaders at events & individual meetings possess a strong ability to represent HRC as needed.
- Prepare written documents in support of solicitation, cultivation and development events, including correspondence, strategic plans, invitations and reports. Develop highly tailored proposals.
- Provide reporting to board members and volunteers related to major donor fundraising including, but not limited to, active major donor reports, prospect reports, and progress toward budgeted goals by community.
- Manage current donor and prospect cultivation and solicitation plans through the use of donor software—identifying next steps, stewardship and cultivation opportunities, etc.
- Work collaboratively with HRC’s major gifts team, participating in regular conference calls and meetings; attend & participate in HRC board meetings in Washington, DC & attend other events in Washington, DC as needed.
- Actively share information on planned giving opportunities as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) required with a minimum of 5 years of experience in fundraising. Emphasis in the major donor arena, as well as experience in solicitation of political contributions for federal candidates and/or party committees.
- Comfortable working independently and as a member of a larger team.
- Must be well organized, detail-oriented and have proven experience in securing major gifts.
- Must be able to prioritize multiple assignments and be able to handle complex tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in writing and strong communications skills.
- Strong public speaking skills and the ability to represent HRC in a variety of settings.
- Exceptional strength in donor relations.
- Flexibility with work schedule; this position does require occasional evening and weekend work.
- Must be able to travel significantly in Greater Los Angeles area
- Ability to travel 20-25% of the time to national HRC office and other events outside of Greater Los Angeles area.
- Understanding of donor-based software is necessary.
- Demonstrated knowledge of LGBTQ issues and commitment to LGBTQ equality