The National Center for Transgender Equality is a national social justice organization devoted to ending discrimination and violence against transgender people through education and advocacy on national issues of importance to transgender people. By empowering transgender people and our allies to educate and influence policymakers and others, NCTE facilitates a strong and clear voice for transgender equality in our nation's capital and around the country.
The National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE) seeks an experienced Development staff person to work with the Director of Development to manage and implement the organization's development plan overall. Applicant will lead or support work in the following areas: 1) corporate sponsors, 2) events, and 3) major donors. The position title will depend on the experience and specialty of the candidate hired. This staff person will report to and work closely with the Director of Development to ensure ample funds are generated to support NCTE's mission. This is an opportunity to join a unique organization at a pivotal moment and help us reach our strategic goals for the next phase of our work.Duties and Responsibilities [We understand not every development professional will have expertise in every area of development.]:
- Assist Director of Development in creating and implementing NCTE’s comprehensive development plan (major donors, grants, events, sponsorships, online giving, etc.)
- Implement and expand corporate partnership program seeking event and programmatic sponsorships both monetary and in-kind, including developing and implementing a full-scale corporate training and policy review program
- Plan, implement and follow-up for all special events and annual receptions
- Develop and coordinate event budgets, logistics, publicity, advertising, contractors, and collateral material design, production and distribution
- Build and maintain good relationships with current and prospective major donors
- Collaborate with the Director of Development and communications staff to strengthen the individual giving program including online fundraising
- Develop and manage all aspects of volunteers, including but not limited to, recruitment, supervision, training and acknowledgement
- Assist the Executive Director and Director of Development in other fundraising programs as necessary, including growing and engaging individual donor base
This position is based in our national office in Washington, DC. The position may involve occasional travel.
- Experience: At least 2-5 years of experience as a fundraising professional
- Track record of success: Successful track record in donor acquisition and cultivation, securing major gifts
- Project Leadership: Experience in planning, leading, and managing development projects, especially events
- Creativity and Innovation: Ability to recognize and develop new approaches for development
- Self-direction: Takes initiative and actively seeks to deepen current donor relationships and to forge new ones. Ability to be self-sufficient in a small staff environment
- Communications: Skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising; excellent interpersonal communication including ability to convey timely needs
- Collaborative Spirit: Ability to work as integral part of an intra-departmental team of hard-working, energetic professionals, taking input from a variety of assertive colleagues
- Prioritization: Ability to prioritize, plan, manage, and complete work on deadlines
- Agility and adaptability: Ability to pivot and adapt to new information and rapidly shifting priorities
- Time Management and Detail Orientation: Excellent organizational and time-management skills, detail-oriented, including ability to manage multiple tasks independently
- Commitment to Social Justice: An understanding of issues affecting trans people as well as an understanding of racism, classism and other systems of inter-connected oppressions is critical
Email a resume and cover letter to apply [at] transequality.org (a single PDF document, preferred), with the subject line “Development Position.” Inquire over email if an acknowledgement of your application is not received after one week. Please no calls. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.