Middle Collegiate Church is a multicultural, multiethnic, intergenerational movement of Spirit and justice, powered by Revolutionary Love, with room for all. Following in the Way of Jesus’ radical love, and inspired by the prophets, Middle Church is called by God to do a bold new thing on the earth. We aim to heal the soul and the world by dismantling racist, classist, sexist, and homophobic systems of oppression. Because our God is still speaking in many languages, we work in inter-religious partnerships to uproot injustice, eradicate poverty, care for the brokenhearted, and build the Reign of God on earth. This activism is fueled by our faith; our faith is expressed in art; our art is an active prayer connecting us with the Holy Spirit. Founded prior to this nation, Middle Church affirms the transformative power of moral imagination, reclaiming and reframing Christianity inside our walls, on the street, and in virtual spaces around the globe. ABOUT THE COLLEGIATE CHURCH: Established in 1628, the Collegiate Church is an ecumenical church affiliated with the Reformed Church in America, the United Church of Christ, the National and World Council of Churches, and the New York City Council of Churches.
Objectives: Provides key strategic, creative, and administrative support for the Congregational Life Pod at Middle Collegiate Church. Working with the Minister for Congregational Life and the Director of Children, Youth, and Young Adults, the Ministry Specialist collaborates on a diverse array of functions for church-wide education and justice related programs and events.
- Resources and supports congregational programming for all age groups within Middle Church.
- Grows and develops leaders/volunteers/interns for children and youth ministries: Wee Care, KIDS in the Middle, YOUTH in the Middle, Family Room, and other seasonal programs and events.
- Helps supervise the work of Wee Care staff. Wee Care is the nursery program on Sundays for infants to four year olds.
- Grows and strengthens educational and affinity group programs including: Village Chorus for Children and Youth, Young Adult Leadership Lab, Young Adults Small Group, Moms in the Middle, Dads in the Middle, New Adventures and various seasonal programming around church calendar holidays.
- Assists Minister for Congregational Life in deploying Middle members as activists.
- Provides essential hospitality to our congregation and community on Sundays.
- Assists in organizing neighborhood outreach, artistic programming, and volunteer support of Second Avenue Street Fair.
- Provides key support to the Congregational Life Pod including but not limited to correspondence, program calendar management, expense reporting, email/mail, phone calls, database maintenance, and other strategies that extend Middle Church’s movement into the world.
- Schedules and programs community-building programs involving education and justice related events in collaboration with the Congregational Life Pod.
- Supports Minister for Congregational Life and the Director of Children, Youth and Young Adults, in meeting preparations that include scheduling, ordering items, and setting up spaces.
- Produces and maintains resources for children in weekly worship settings.
- Other justice and education related projects as they emerge.
BENEFITS: Full-time salaried non-exempt position. The weekly schedule is four set weekdays as well as Sunday. For special events, the weekly schedule may shift and appropriate days off will be arranged. Some weekend and evening flexibility to cover church events is to be expected.Middle Collegiate Church is committed to providing a diverse, supportive, challenging and rewarding work environment. We seek applicants who are prepared to thrive in a diverse community and have a heart for justice. We provide competitive salary and benefits. COLLEGIATE CHURCH CORPORATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Please submit a résumé and cover letter via email to jobs [at] middlechurch.org.