At Summer Search, we believe our world is better off when everyone can discover their purpose. Yet, for too many bright young people, our society creates unjust obstacles that unfairly block their search. Through a combination of year-round mentoring and transformative summer experiences, Summer Search aims to unleash the potential of young people while also building a toolkit for navigating and challenging systemic barriers to higher education and career opportunities. Since our founding in 1990, Summer Search has reached more than 6,500 young people and currently serves more than 3,600 high school and college students in five regions across the country – San Francisco Bay Area, New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, and Seattle. Our alumni become the kind of leaders our country needs -- civic leaders, advocates, industry leaders, teachers, mothers and fathers. Their collective leadership ripples out into the community and future generations and contributes to a more equitable society.
At a time of programmatic innovation, Summer Search is seeking a National Director of Marketing and Communications to develop and lead a cohesive strategy that lifts up student and alumni voices, elevates Summer Search’s brand, and inspires a variety of audiences. Reporting to the Vice President of Development, this position will work across Summer Search’s five regional sites and national office to ensure that Summer Search communicates with a singular vision and voice. Specifically, the Director will:
- Develop, oversee, and execute a cohesive marketing and communications strategy, inclusive of brand management, print and digital marketing, public relations, thought leadership, and donor communications.
- Oversee the creation of high-use donor-facing content and materials to be used across the Summer Search network, inclusive of pitch decks, case statements, student outreach, and event and annual giving materials; ensure messaging lifts up the strengths and assets of our students and alumni. Author web and social media content, press releases, and blog stories.
- Oversee efforts to enhance Summer Search’s digital presence; partner with the Marketing & Communications Manager to develop an online editorial calendar, create website and social media content, enhance search engine visibility, and measure efficacy of digital activities.
- Supervise and guide the work of a Marketing and Communications Manager; manage contractors e.g. graphic designers, public relations, web development, and contributing writers. Provide partnership, consultation, and high-touch customer service to internal clients; coach regional Executive Directors in developing local plans for marketing and public relations activities. Create and ensure the utilization of protocols, templates, and tools by marketing leads at each of Summer Search’s five regional sites.
- In partnership with the CEO, develop and articulate the CEO’s thought partnership platform; elevate CEO’s profile in the Black leadership space.
- In partnership with the key development team members, support activities designed to increase engagement of corporate partners, including the roll-out of Summer Search CONNECT, an emerging online portal for students, alumni, and employers to engage.
- Ensure that Summer Search’s Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) principles are infused into all marcomm work, and that brand and messaging are responsive to Summer Search’s journey of becoming an anti-racist organization. Provide marketing support for Championing for Equity and Justice Initiative.
- Serve as staff lead for the National Marketing Committee, comprised of board members and volunteers.
- Manage the marketing and communications budget.
- You are committed to Summer Search’s mission and values. You believe that all young people should have the opportunity to fulfill their potential. You thrive in an organization that values authenticity, relationships, well-being, learning, personal growth, and an unwavering commitment to racial equity and inclusion.
- You are a versatile marketing and communications professional. You bring at least 8+ years of relevant work experience, including 3+ in a management role, with hands-on experience overseeing strategies and activities that elevate an organization’s brand and engage a variety of audiences. Experience working on a development team and/or overseeing donor communications is a plus.
- You bring a customer-service mindset in working with internal stakeholders. You bring positivity and a consultative approach in supporting the marcomm needs of internal clients. You listen well and seek to understand stakeholders’ unique needs. You leverage technology, templates, and collaboration tools in working across departments and teams.
- You have an eye for inspired and compelling content. You are adept at creating engaging content for print, web, and external relations (e.g. public relations and thought leadership) that inspires audiences to action. You are skilled at packaging data and stories in order to create powerful written and spoken narratives.
- You are committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and anti-racism. You are energized to join an organization that is on a journey toward becoming an anti-racist organization. You are committed to dismantling racism within yourself and your colleagues. You actively work to ensure that EDI principles are infused in work product.
- You are an excellent task and project manager, with a strong sense of follow-through. You succeed at managing multiple workstreams and motivating, coordinating, and directing others to stay on track. You possess strong attention to detail and capacity to balance competing priorities.
- You are a resourceful, flexible, and willing team player. You thrive in a highly entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment and are able to work through ambiguity. You build positive, effective, collaborative cultures and teams wherever you work.
- You are tech-savvy. You are proficient in working with commonly used marketing technology systems and tools such as CRMs, content management systems, social media, email marketing, among others.
Click here to submit a resume and targeted cover letter that answers the question, "What excites you about Summer Search and the National Director of Marketing & Communications opportunity?” Please address your cover letter to Megan Sussman, Vice President of Development.