The Nature Conservancy is a global organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Guided by science, The Nature Conservancy creates innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that nature and people can thrive together. The Nature Conservancy is tackling climate change, conserving lands, waters and oceans at unprecedented scale, providing food and water sustainably, and helping make cities more sustainable.
The Nature Conservancy is seeking a strategic, innovative, and engaging Director of Finance and Operations to lead the organization into a successful new chapter. The Director will provide overall direction and leadership for Finance, Facilities, Information Systems, Office Management, and/or Safety. They will establish a vision for areas of responsibility, identify key challenges, and deliver targeted outcomes. To do this effectively, they will liaise among various departments and offices, as well as with the Board of Trustees to ensure that financial and operational needs are met. This role brings particular opportunity for leadership as The Nature Conservancy in New York is increasing its impact in New York and beyond through structural changes designed for greater efficiency and results. As a member of the Executive Team and reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Director of Finance and Operations will partner closely with the Chief Philanthropy Officer, the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees, and others to create and implement bold new practices that will support the financial and operational growth of the chapter for the future.
- At least nine years financial/accounting experience, preferably in the nonprofit sector, including at least three years managing operations functions and experience working at a senior level
- Experience generating financial reports and analyzing and interpreting data for a variety of audiences through presentations, reports, conversations, and documents
- Experience conceiving, developing, and managing multiple projects, strategic goals, and department budgets in an organization of comparable size to The Nature Conservancy in New York
- Management experience of a large multidisciplinary team, including planning and delivering budgetary responsibilities
- Commitment to the mission and values of The Nature Conservancy, including diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Ability to strategize and develop information at a high level, as well as comfort running reports and analyzing accounting
- Bachelor’s degree or professional equivalent
- Understanding of or experience in a chapter or subsidiary organizational structure
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experiences
- Advanced understanding of best practices in nonprofit management with expert knowledge of current and evolving trends in nonprofit finance and operations
- Experience managing a geographically dispersed team
- Proficiency in working independently, as well as jointly with colleagues on a team
- MBA, MPA, or professional equivalent
Koya Leadership Partners, a national retained executive search firm that works exclusively with mission-driven clients, has been exclusively retained for this search. To express interest in this role, please submit a thoughtful letter of interest and resume on the Koya Leadership Partners website, using this link. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential. The Nature Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ applicants.