Mazzoni Center is the premier health and wellness provider in the Philadelphia region specifically targeting the needs of the LGBTQ+ community. Mazzoni Center provides a full range of quality, comprehensive health care, wellness, and social services to individuals of all backgrounds, and identities. In FY 2019 – 2020, Mazzoni Center’s health center saw a total of 6,443 patients, representing 14,433 visits to its primary and Washington West locations. Across all services, Mazzoni Center also provided care to more than 2,000 people living with HIV. Today’s Mazzoni Center employs a dedicated and mission-driven staff of around 150 individuals and has a current operating budget of more than $18 million; a combination of government grants, individual giving, corporate and foundation support, third party billing, and a 340B program. The organization’s integrated approach to care draws on the knowledge and skill sets of its diverse staff.
The President/Executive Officer, in cooperation with the Executive Leadership Team, will be responsible for providing strategic vision and organizational management of Mazzoni Center programs, services, and community engagement. This person will drive strategic, operational, administrative, and financial decisions and will work with the Board of Directors, staff, donors, and community partners to accomplish the goals and objectives that will advance Mazzoni Center’s mission of “providing quality comprehensive health and wellness services in an LGBTQ-focused environment, while preserving the dignity and improving the quality of life of the individuals it serves.” The President & Executive Officer will work with the Board of Directors, staff, and key stakeholders to create a strategic vision and plan to ensure the financial wellbeing of Mazzoni Center, improve the culture of the organization, and build upon/ensure adherence to agency-wide policies to instill consistency, accountability, and cross-departmental communication and collaboration.
The new President and Executive Officer will be an experienced, dynamic, and transformational leader with a high level of emotional intelligence and professional maturity. This person will have proven skills in organizational growth and development, change management, fundraising, and strategic planning as well as a track record of developing, coaching, and training both new and seasoned leaders. They should have a transparent, inclusive, and engaging management style and be comfortable in a distributed leadership environment with shared decision making and fully empowered leaders. Candidates for this position will have a demonstrated passion for Mazzoni Center’s work and mission and will share some of the identities and lived experience of the people and communities it serves. They will be empathetic, accessible, and people-centered and, at the same time, bring the professional skills and knowledge of organizational systems, processes, and policies to lead Mazzoni Center to new levels of growth and success. Successful candidates will have previous experience working with diverse teams and managing across a broad range of demographics and identities. Regardless of personal identity or professional background, an intersectional understanding of race, gender and sexual identity, socio-economic status, and ability in the LGBTQ+ community is required.Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 10 to 12 years of CEO or Executive Director experience, preferably in a health care, mental/behavioral health, human services, or similar direct service organization;
- History of leading organizational growth and transformation while accomplishing greater mission achievement;
- Excellent people and team management skills with proven ability to positively coach and mentor staff, provide opportunities for professional development, and ensure accountability for results and outcomes;
- Financial oversight and budget management experience in an organization of comparable size and complexity and with similar funding sources;
- Track record of success and innovation in fundraising and revenue development and of diversifying funding sources to ensure financial sustainability;
- Ability to cultivate strategic and authentic relationships with other nonprofits, community organizations, public officials, LGBTQ+ Movement leaders, and allies;
- Strong diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) lens and can lead by example in centering racial, sexual, and gender equity in all facets of the organization;
- Outstanding public speaking, writing, and communication skills and experience acting as the voice and face of an organization;
- Seasoned understanding of the mechanics of successfully operating a large, complex organization and ability to improve organizational systems, structures, communications, and effectiveness;
- Ability to both oversee and direct daily operations and to develop and promote a compelling vision of the future.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Previous leadership experience in a health care, health service, or community health organization with clinical staff and operations;
- Content expertise and/or program experience with one or more of the health and social services Mazzoni Center currently provides;
- Understanding of trauma-informed leadership, and a commitment to a healing and restorative culture;
- Formal DEI/anti-racism/anti-bias training (as an individual or as part of an organization);
- Understanding of/previous participation in setting human resource practices, policies, and employee relations;
- Training, education, or experience with marketing, branding, public relations, and external communications;
- Experience working with a unionized staff would be a significant benefit;
- Undergraduate degree plus Master’s degree in Nonprofit Management, Business Administration, Social Work, or health-related field.
- Passion for the mission of Mazzoni Center and an advocate for LGBTQ+ individuals having access to high quality, culturally competent care;
- Demonstrated understanding and commitment to the people and communities Mazzoni Center serves;
- Strong interpersonal skills and high levels of emotional intelligence and self-awareness;
- Resilient, thick skin, and practiced in self-care;
- Effective communicator and active listener;
- Prioritizes fairness, transparency, and accountability;
- Unquestionable integrity, honesty, and ethics;
- Good judgment. Makes decisions based on data, analysis, wisdom, and experience;
- Genuine desire to empower and uplift others;
- True cultural humility;
- Willingness to authentically engage in and facilitate dialogue around challenging issues;
- Decisive when necessary, not afraid to make difficult or unpopular decisions;
- Values and champions a culture of professionalism and accountability.
Inquiries, nominations, or applications (including a cover letter and resume) should be directed electronically and in confidence, to search [at] kevinchasesearch.com. We are pleased to answer any questions or supply further information. Mazzoni Center is an equal opportunity employer; a diverse workforce and inclusive culture are core values. Kevin Chase Executive Search Group and Mazzoni Center welcome applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. BIPOC, disabled, and/or LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.