The Program Area Lead for Gender, Reproductive, and LGBTQ Justice supports, leads, and leverages PRA’s flagship program for maximum impact. Reporting to our Research Director, this position supervises 3-5 staff researchers, fellows, and contract researchers. The position provides intellectual, strategic, and programmatic leadership, manages ongoing research projects, cultivates collaboration with advocacy partners, and—with support from our communications team—influences news media and opinion leaders. The Program Area Lead proposes strategic priorities, research plans, and social justice movement collaborations focusing on the Religious and Secular Right’s strategies to curtail gender and reproductive health and rights and LGBTQI justice. Roughly 70% of the job falls into these leadership areas, with another 25-30% dedicated to the Lead’s own research/writing/education focus. The position works most closely with the Research Director and the Program Area Lead for Immigrant & Racial Justice.
The Program Area Lead’s key responsibilities include:
- Lead work to expand our knowledge of the Right’s strategies to limit reproductive justice, rights, and access, impose gender conformity/uniformity, and undo legal wins for LGBTQ individuals and families (primary focus on Christian Right); understand intersections and collaborations with other sectors of the Right; and to support the building of an intersectional resistance agenda.
- Supervise and mentor research team, enabling them to devise applicable research projects and complete writing assignments in a timely fashion.
- Generate and oversee the production of high-quality research products for publication in various PRA and external outlets, including The Public Eye magazine, printed reports, and online content. Participate in peer/outside review of content in the area of gender and reproductive justice.
- Develop and maintain ongoing productive relationships with organizing and advocacy groups in order to improve the quality and impact of both our and their work, and ensure wider distribution and utilization of PRA research.
- Prepare and execute convenings, presentations, briefings, trainings, strategy discussions, etc., to support movement partners in deepening their understanding, analysis, and strategy on issues of gender and reproductive justice.
- With support from the Research Director, develop and implement annual programmatic goals and priorities for the Gender, Reproductive, and LGBTQ Justice program and contribute to program team goals and priorities.
- Partner with the Development Director in developing proposals, briefing funders, and reporting on program outcomes and impact.
- Represent PRA in a professional manner, consistent with our mission and strategic plan, both within the organization and in public. Work with communications and research staff to implement appropriate media/communications strategy for the research area and participate in press interviews as needed.
- The equivalent of 7-10 years demonstrated experience researching and writing on the U.S. Right, the Christian Right, and Gender, Reproductive, and LGBTQ Justice
- Deep knowledge of the social justice movements and organizing and advocacy groups in the gender and reproduction health, rights, and justice sectors and the LGBTQ Justice field
- Strong management and supervisory experience and desire to lead an intergenerational team of researchers
- Critical and creative thinking demonstrated through excellent research and analysis
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Proven efficacy managing projects and deadlines
- Strong verbal communication, presentation, and facilitation skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Passion for social justice and commitment to the vision and mission of PRA; and
- Willingness to learn new skills.
The Salary range is $65,000 - $70,000. Generous compensation package includes full employer-paid medical & dental, retirement contribution, fabulous colleagues, and a collaborative working environment. This is a full-time salaried position preferably based in Somerville, Massachusetts. PRA is a racial justice and equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. People of color, LGBTQ persons, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.