- Want to help thousands of candidates, staffers, and leaders across the country? Want to help progressive and Democratic organizations build the long-term power needed for success, not just this year, but for years to come? Do you want to be a part of a team of creative, passionate, and driven individuals who sincerely care about the work they are doing? Do you want to use your skills, relationships, and expertise to help your community and your country?
- The National Democratic Training Committee (NDTC) is the largest Democratic campaign training organization in the nation. NDTC provides free in-depth and comprehensive training programs for candidates, campaign staff, and local leaders across the nation. Between on-demand courses, live facilitated trainings, and cohort-based programs, over 120,000 Democrats have turned to NDTC for the tools to win.
- In 2019, NDTC launched Staff Academy, a program designed to recruit, train, and connect new leaders to paid career opportunities in Democratic politics across the country. Staff Academy prioritizes recruiting leaders that reflect the base of the Democratic Party– people who identify as women, transgender and non-binary, and people of color as cohort members.
- In its fourth year, Staff Academy aims to graduate 150 new campaign staff who are deeply trained in the essential skills needed to operate in the fields of communications, digital, and fundraising, as well as the underlying management and leadership practices needed to succeed on a campaign. This will be accomplished through a 10-week intensive training program with blended online and live training as well as numerous professional development activities.
- This summer, NDTC launched a sister-program to Staff Academy– the Democratic Strategy Institute (DSI). DSI aims to graduate 25 professionals with the skills to become field directors in the election cycles to come. Like Staff Academy, cohort members will practice core skills for field leadership in addition to management and leadership content.
- About NDTC as an Employer: NDTC believes our differences enhance our strength as a political party and as a nation. We, as an organization, benefit from staff who come from diverse races, ethnic origins, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, economic backgrounds, abilities, and other facets of our identities.
NDTC seeks a Program Associate (PA) to recruit, manage, and coach the next cohort of Staff Academy and Democratic Strategy Institute graduates. A successful program associate collaborates with all members of the Staff Academy team on a regular basis to develop and execute a program that will attract, train, and prepare a diverse and talented group of individuals for paid campaign roles on Democratic campaigns across the country. This full-time position will join the Staff Academy team and will report to the Staff Academy Associate Director, Jemila Mitchell.Primary ResponsibilitiesCohort Recruitment:
- Effectively articulate the NDTC Staff Academy mission to applicants, cohort members, and external partners and stakeholders to accomplish the goals of recruiting a strong cohort and supporting graduates in their job search.
- Use established criteria to review a large number of applications within a tight timeline to identify potential Staff Academy cohort members.
- Interview potential Staff Academy cohort members to effectively evaluate if the applicant would be a strong fit for the program.
- Participate in a team-based process to determine which applicants will be offered acceptance into the Staff Academy cohort factoring in various inputs and internal program guidelines.
- Collaborate across multiple teams to strategize effective program development and design
Program and People Management:
- Design and implement strategies and experiences to build community among Staff Academy cohort members and to support the cohort members’ professional development.
- Support 50 Staff Academy cohort members in successfully learning and growing while completing program requirements through regular 1-1 engagement and coaching.
- Manage communication with cohort members, including giving positive and constructive feedback, receiving feedback about the program, and problem-solving individual and group challenges.
- Co-facilitate evening webinars and office hours to help cohort members achieve learning objectives and build community.
- Assess program strengths and identify areas of opportunity to make recommendations on program improvement. Participate in team-based efforts to continually strive for excellence in Staff Academy.
Compensation + Benefits:
- Pay: Salary is commensurate with experience, with a range of $50,000 to 60,000 per year
- Healthcare: 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, and life insurance
- Retirement Option: 10% employer match on contributions to 401(k)
- Flexible paid time off + all Federal holidays off + NDTC’s offices close for one week for Thanksgiving and a two-week winter break at the end of December
- Equipment: Laptop, keyboard, mouse, monitor
- Professional Development: At NDTC, we value professional development and career growth. We provide $700 per calendar year for each staff member’s professional development.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have at least one cycle of electoral campaign experience.
- Have at least one cycle or 1-2 years of campaign experience in digital, communications, or fundraising/finance
- Have experience managing people or teams which may include managing peers, interns, volunteers, or staff.
- Communicate effectively and build relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders, trainees, staff, and others.
- Be outcomes focused, well-organized, and a community builder.
- Work well with deadlines and fast-paced environments.
- Have the ability to work some weekends and evenings as necessary.
Nice-to-Haves, but Not Required Experiences and Skills:
- Familiarity with campaign training programs
- Experience with reviewing applications and interviewing applicants
- Ability to use tools such as Google Sheets for data analysis
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The interview process for this role will include a 4-step process which we expect to take about 1 month upon receipt of application. The ideal start date is no later than Wednesday, September 1st. To apply please email abrown [at] traindemocrats.org () by July 29, 2021 with:
- Your resume
- A cover letter that describes your experience managing a group to achieve a shared goal, its outcomes, and the transferable skills you learned
- The date you are available to start.
Please list “Staff Academy Program Associate” in the subject line. No calls, please.