The Human Rights Campaign envisions a world where every member of the LGBTQ family has the freedom to live their truth without fear, and with equality under the law. We empower our 3 million members and supporters to mobilize against attacks on the most marginalized people in our community.
We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team. Position Summary:Under the direction of the Senior Finance Manager, the Staff Accountant, Disbursements is responsible for the expense accounting of the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the related PACs and the Human Rights Campaign Foundation (HRCF). Position Responsibilities: Disbursements:
- Review weekly check requests, purchase orders, and expense reimbursements for proper documentation, accurate coding, proper sales & use tax application, and necessary approvals. Process payments according to guidelines.
- Process manual check entries, wire transfers, voided checks and credit memos on a timely basis.
- Record recurring monthly journal entries and other accounts payment adjustments, as needed. Reconcile Accounts Payable subsidiary system to the General Ledger, Prepaid Expenses and other General Ledger accounts, as assigned.
- Prepare year-end IRS Form 1099-MISC mailings and electronic filings.
- Ensure all monthly centrally-billed invoices and building-related expenses are processed timely.
- Communicate issues and expense posting discrepancies or problems to supervisor. Follow up on outstanding issues until resolution.
- Manage paper and electronic record retention system for accurate, timely and easily accessible files, ensuring compliance with HRC procedures.
- Assist in the development of Accounts Payable policies and procedures and training materials and assist in ongoing documentation of Finance policies and procedures, as needed.
- Respond in a timely and professional manner to high-volume questions/issues regarding Accounts Payable, Travel & Expense Policy, Credit Card program and Electronic Expense Reporting System.
- Review corporate card travel and expense transactions for all supporting documentation, accurate coding and adherence to HRC’s travel and expense policy. Follow up on missing receipts, reports and approvals.
- Act as back up to Senior Finance Manager, including administering corporate card program and Travel & Expense system maintenance.
Accounting and Administrative:
- Assist with preparation of schedules for annual audit and the IRS form 990 tax return.
- Provide Finance training and assist new and existing staff on features and functions of the Accounting ERP and the Travel and Expense system, promoting a positive experience.
- Assist Senior Finance Manager with special projects, such as Managed Travel, expanded Purchase Orders, etc.
- Understand and operate with proper accounting protocols.
- Other duties as assigned.
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply. No phone calls or emails, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field (or equivalent work experience) and working knowledge of GAAP is strongly preferred. Two to four years of relevant work experience in a nonprofit is preferred.
- Experience with Accounting ERP Systems such as Microsoft Dynamics NAV and Expense Management Software, such as Concur, is preferred.
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), Google Apps (Gmail, Google Docs and Drive).
- The ability to manage difficult client/customer situations, respond promptly to customer needs, solicit customer feedback to improve service, respond to requests for service and assistance and meet commitments as well as follow up on obtaining reports and documentation from staff is required.
- Communicate effectively and professionally with vendors and members of own department as well as other departments within the organization.
- Must be able to work independently as well as be team-oriented. Must be willing to assist fellow Finance staff during peak times.
- Demonstrate problem solving skills by showing initiative and identifying and resolving problems in a timely manner.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and discretion.
- Proven experience in using time efficiently and can prioritize/plan work activities appropriately.
- Expertise with detail-oriented work and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness,.
- Must meet productivity standards and complete work in a timely manner to achieve weekly and monthly deadlines.
- Must be highly motivated and adapt to changes in the work environment, competing demands, and frequent changes.
- Flexibility with work schedule--this position requires evening and weekend work during peak periods
- Personal interest in and commitment to LGBTQ+ rights.
Please apply on our website!