Every Voice works to reduce the influence of money in politics and raise the voices of everyday people in our political system. We are a nimble, campaign-oriented organization using complementary strategies of fighting to win policy reforms, engaging in election-related accountability, building coalitional relationships, and deploying all the modern tools of communications. Every Voice knows we must build political power in order to win tangible change in the way our elections are financed.
We are looking to add a member to our leadership team who will drive policy victories in legislative chambers at the state and local level. The State Legislative Director will lead the organization’s multi-faceted efforts to pass changes to our money in politics system through state, county, and city legislative bodies. This position requires an extraordinarily talented and creative individual who possesses both the know-how and the attitude to design campaigns to overcome the status quo on money in politics in state capitals and city halls. Responsibilities
- Develop, manage, and implement our state legislative campaigns strategies to advance wins via small donor public financing and other democracy reforms;
- Work in close partnership with state and local organizations, funders, and others to develop and implement plans to win policies through state and local governing bodies;
- Lay the groundwork necessary nationally and within the states to successfully launch legislative campaigns with broad and diverse buy in and investment of organizations and infrastructure on the ground;
- Mentor and coach lead staff at partner organizations in the states on a host of issues, including but not limited to legislative campaign planning and implementation, coalition building, messaging, and fundraising;
- Manage staff in the national office and implement systems within the organization to galvanize staff resources in support of our state and local legislative efforts;
- Work with the electoral team to ensure state legislative strategies and program are in alignment with electoral and ballot initiative strategies and program;
- Work with the federal legislative team to ensure alignment with federal legislative program;
- Work with senior staff to organize national partners to participate and mobilize their members in support of state legislative campaigns; and
- Oversee our work to build elected champions for our policies and campaigns
Job DetailsSalary is commensurate with experience. A generous benefits package is offered. Position is full-time and based in the organization’s Washington, D.C. office. Frequent travel is required.
- Sound political judgment;
- Proven ability to build trust, bring people together, and establish personal and organizational credibility with partners and allies;
- Proven capacity to think strategically and build plans to win that acknowledge the realities of the political landscape;
- Proven ability to build relationships with organizational partners, coalitions, staff and bring people together around a common agenda/goal;
- Experience with successfully juggling multiple high priority projects at the same time, while continuing to manage staff and teams;
- At least five years experience moving legislation at the state or local level either from within an elected office, via an advocacy organization, or other institutions, and preferably in more than one state; and
- Strong communication skills, particularly in communicating in writing via plans and proposals, interpersonally with colleagues, and in presenting in front of audiences.
- Familiarity with electoral and ballot initiative campaigns and their impact on legislative strategy;
- Interest and knowledge in social, racial, and economic justice, and campaign finance and its impact on the democratic process; and
- Experience working within a national advocacy organization, labor union, or trade association.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received, through August 28, 2015. Please submit a resume, a cover letter including salary range, and writing samples to jobs [at] everyvoice.org. Please make sure to note where you saw this listing in your cover letter.Every Voice is an equal opportunity employer, and encourages people of color, ethnic minorities, women, and individuals from the LGBT community to apply.