The Human Rights Campaign and the Human Rights Campaign Foundation together serve as America's largest civil rights organization working to achieve LGBTQ equality. By inspiring and engaging individuals and communities, HRC strives to end discrimination against LGBTQ people and realize a world that achieves fundamental fairness and equality for all.The Human Rights Campaign and the Human Rights Campaign Foundation together serve as America's largest civil rights organization working to achieve LGBTQ equality. By inspiring and engaging individuals and communities, HRC strives to end discrimination against LGBTQ people and realize a world that achieves fundamental fairness and equality for all.
We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team. Position Summary:The Temporary Digital/Publications Specialist advises on HRC’s Digital Media strategy as well as the quarterly Equality magazine and Leading Equality newsletter. This as a senior-level position providing strategic guidance to senior staff, engaging with stakeholders and consultants directly, and coordinating the workflow of the Digital team. This position manages multiple projects simultaneously, understands project priorities, and assists in managing internal and external resources. This is a temporary position covering an employee out on medical leave. The position is expected to continue through late June. This position can be either part-time or full-time. Position Responsibilities:
- Acts as a lead in ensuring that HRC’s social media platforms creatively and accurately communicate the organization’s messaging and goals.
- Monitors and respond to news on matters related to LGBTQ and civil rights issues, including proactively communicating with HRC senior staff and Digital Media team members on the execution of HRC’s response.
- Balances project scope, timelines and meeting deadlines, prioritizing tasks and communicating in a busy environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Collaborates on development of HRC’s digital strategy via HRC’s blog and social media outlets such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.
- Works with HRC staff members and outside vendors to keep HRC.org on the cutting edge, maintaining and exceeding current standards.
- Oversees all stages of the production of HRC’s Equality Magazine, Leading Equality newsletter and other publications.
- Recruits and manages freelance writers and editors for HRC’s print publications.
- Collaborates with senior management to ensure print publications effectively communicate organizational messaging and goals.
- Works closely with other staff to ensure print publications adhere to the organization’s design standards.
- Applies knowledge of current and emerging new media tools to proactively recommend and manage plans for implementation.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience with at least 10 years of experience working in a non-profit environment required, preferably online.
- Experience writing and editing for print publications and social media required; experience managing print publications and social media preferred.
- Must be proactive and self-starter.
- Experience using common content management systems such as Expression Engine, WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla.
- Experience with XHTML, CSS, Dreamweaver and Photoshop is preferred.
- Personal interest in and commitment to LGBTQ rights strongly preferred.
- Well-rounded, creative type with a talent for communicating online
- Excellent writing skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work both independently and in a team environment.
- Strong proficiency in both substantive editing and copyediting required.
- Experience working with diverse groups of stakeholders, being calm under pressure, and managing a diversity of opinions on each project.
* Please include a cover letter in your application.* All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply. No phone calls, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status.
To apply, please visit: www.hrc.org/careers.