We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team. Position Summary: HRC is hiring Temporary Field Organizers to mobilize HRC members and supporters, LGBTQ voters, and Equality Voters to vote in the 2020 election. Temporary Field Organizers will report to HRC campaign leadership and support pro-equality candidates in prioritized states, congressional districts, and legislative districts across the country. The Temporary Field Organizer is a temporary, full-time position ending November 6, 2020. Due to the extraordinary nature of the current environment caused by COVID-19, these positions have a high virtual volunteer and voter engagement component. Temporary Field Organizers may be hired outside of the prioritized states above, though preference will be given to those currently living in a priority state. Temporary Field Organizers must have access to a computer and camera, private workspace, and stable internet service capable of managing video connections. Should health and safety risks associated with in-person organizing be mitigated prior to Election Day, Temporary Field Organizers may be required to conduct in-person activities in their assigned state or district. Position Responsibilities: Mobilize HRC Members, Supporters and Allies:
- Mobilize HRC members, supporters and allies to vote for HRC-endorsed candidates.
- Recruit, train and direct HRC members, supporters and allies to contact voters, participate in volunteer opportunities and events, and support HRC-endorsed candidates in other ways. This work may include making phone calls, leading virtual phone banks, creative volunteer recruitment, and joining HRC or allied organization meetings.
Engage Local HRC Volunteer Leadership:
- Work with HRC staff to ensure HRC volunteer leaders are informed about and maximally engaged in volunteer opportunities.
Manage Recurring Phone Banks:
- Plan, recruit for, and manage regular recurring virtual volunteer phone banks to recruit volunteers, identify pro-equality voters, and provide state-specific resources for registering to vote, and voting early, by mail, or in person.
Interface with Campaign Staff for HRC-Endorsed Candidates:
- Regularly interface with campaign staff for HRC-endorsed candidates to ensure we are supporting them however we can.
Engage Coalition Partners:
- Ensure like-minded partner organizations’ staff and volunteers are informed about and engaged in volunteer opportunities.
- Participate in regular HRC campaign calls and meetings, as directed. Prepare regular reports to track contacts and volunteer activities. Provide detailed information in VAN and assure all volunteers do as well.
Other duties as assigned. Position Qualifications:
- Strong volunteer recruitment and organizing skills, demonstrated through at least one cycle of volunteer or paid organizing experience in an issue campaign or an election campaign.
- Comfort with managing by metrics and a familiarity with organizing data. Experience with VAN is a strong plus.
- Demonstrated ability and passion for building relationships with key local supporters and influencers in the LGBTQ community and/or the broader progressive movement.
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and Google Apps (Gmail, Google Docs and Drive).
- Commitment to LGBTQ equality.
- Must thrive in an action-based and team-oriented learning environment that—now more than ever—requires creative thinking and adaptability.
- Must be willing to work campaign hours, including heavy evenings and weekends.
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply. No phone calls or emails, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status.
Please apply via the website with your resume and cover letter.