The Human Rights Campaign and the Human Rights Campaign Foundation together serve as America's largest civil rights organization working to achieve LGBTQ equality. By inspiring and engaging individuals and communities, HRC strives to end discrimination against LGBTQ people and realize a world that achieves fundamental fairness and equality for all.The Human Rights Campaign envisions a world where lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people are ensured equality and embraced as full members of society at home, at work and in every community.
We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team. Position Summary: The Paralegal / Legal Coordinator provides substantive and administrative support to the General Counsel’s office, particularly focusing on managing the priorities and projects of the Senior Vice President, General Counsel (SVP, GC), conducting legal research, drafting and reviewing documents including contracts and corporate governance documents, and providing administrative support. The Paralegal is an integral part of the team, which is comprised of four attorneys including the SVP, GC. This is a temporary position, expected to last for six months with the possibility of an extension dependent upon budget. Position Responsibilities: Paralegal
- Drafts and/or assists with editing and proofreading of legal documents – including business letters, policies and procedures, meeting agendas, notes and minutes, trainings, corporate governance documents, talking points, presentations, fact sheets, and other documents.
- Prepares and reviews consultant and event contracts and GC’s office correspondence.
- Maintains GC’s office filings, tracks and manages contracts, and assists with enforcing HRC rights in its intellectual property.
- Responsible for taking minutes during board meetings (including the coordination of law fellows to assist with the note-taking) and compiling minutes for review and approval by SVP, GC.
- Responsible for maintaining corporate governance documents.
- Assisting attorneys with legal research and writing.
- Assists the SVP, GC in managing the priorities and projects of the office, including assisting with the calendar and systematizing and maintaining electronic and paper files.
- Supports the staff of GC’s office in all administrative duties including maintaining journal and Lexis-Nexis subscriptions, reimbursements, travel arrangements, as well as scheduling meetings, tracking pro bono attorneys’ hours, ordering supplies, and providing primary administrative support to the SVP,GC.
- Assists with the department’s finances, including check requests, credit card reconciliations, purchase orders, expense reports, reimbursements, and the annual budgeting process.
- Assists with recruitment and management of law fellows.
- Assigned other duties on behalf of the GC’s office and other departments.
- Bachelor’s degree required and/or equivalent work experience.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to conduct legal research.
- 2 years paralegal experience, or administrative experience with paralegal responsibilities, in a law firm or a legal environment.
- Proficient with Google Apps (Gmail, Google Docs, Slides and Sheets), similar MS Office products including Word, Excel and Powerpoint, and DocuSign.
- Excellent organizational skills in terms of managing project deadlines and volumes of paperwork.
- Ability to adapt to fast-paced work environment.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously while prioritizing important issues.
- Must be independent at times, collaborative at other times, and have the judgment to discern when to be either.
- Excellent attention to detail and commitment to high quality and timely work product.
- Strong professional ethics and high sensitivity in dealing with confidential information.
- Personal interest and commitment to LGBTQ equality.
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply. No phone calls, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status.